Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upper bout wear

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by FredH, Jan 20, 2005.

1. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

The upper bouts on my bass are warn away until they look like wood pulp. Its a older bass and I guess that it has spent some time on a rough floor. The damage is not deep and I don't believe there is any chance of the seam popping but I need to down something about it.

It’s a 1960's Pollmann with that yellow-honey finish. I have heard that German luthiers used rather cheap varnish in though days. My questions are:

What type of varnish can I use?
    Should I sand the wounds down first?
    How many coats and how long should it set?

Thanks

Fred

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey Fred, welcome to TB! When you say "upper bout" do you mean the edges or the actual expanse of rib?

3. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Just the edges, both of them. The wear does not extend all the way to the joint where the sides meet the top and bottom edge, which extend beyond sides.

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well that's kinda easy then. Those basses usually had a basic spirit varnish and that's what I would recommend to touch it up. Lemur or International would have it. Just carefully brush it on and a light sanding[320 or so] between coats. 4 or 5 coats should be fine and spirit can dry in a few hours-wait until you can press hard with your finger and not feel any tack. HTH

5. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Right on, thanks I'm on it :)