1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright and Depression

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bassguy87564, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    I have recently discovered something about my self that I never really noticed before. The past 4 days I have been really busy with life and school and never really had time to practice my upright. For those four days I have notice that I have been getting my depression symptom come up without the normal triggers. So I had my lesson today with my teacher and almost instantly when I picked up my upright to go walk over to his office I felt all my depression symptoms go away. So I have come to the conclusion that when I don't practice or play my upright I get depressed. This definitely encourages me to practice more if I didn't enough already but anyone have similar situation.

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I get really antsy if I don't get to play for a few days. I get into a funk (not the good kind) if I don't go exercise regularly too. Everyone has different stress relief mechanisms, but I feel like a lot of people around here will sympathize with your feelings. Clearly, playing the bass makes us feel good. :bassist:=:D

3. pejsaboy

pejsaboy

Apr 10, 2010
    My gui**** gets cranky if we have to skip practice for a week. It was really bad when his wife was still pregnant and we basically took a month off toward the end of it :) I wouldn't say i feel extra stress/depression when I don't play, but I know I feel really good after a long band practice.

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    The internet is a funny place. Things which ya might mean in jest come across as desperately important and vice versa. It's hard to gauge your post so I'm going to take it as "real serious." Please pardon me if I inject a ton of bricks where it doesn't belong.

a) It's great that you are in touch with your mood. It's outstanding that you can see a problem coming and react in advance. Many people would be fortunate to be in that place.

b) It's great to have a mechanism which can help you with what you need addressed. We're all bass-players here so we share that. At the same time it might not be ideal to over-rely on any one tool, even the bass. Nothing is fool-proof in this world.

c) There's no need to reinvent the wheel. There is lots of help available for people who suspect that they might be prone to depression. Perhaps you should seek it out now, while you are feeling pretty solid.

d) Every time I pick up the bass I say, "Man, I am SO lucky to play the bass."

If this post is a problem tell me or a mod and it will be bonked immediately.

5. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think playing an instrument allows us to focus and gives our mind a break from all the chatter. Practicing can also bring on depression if you don't keep the right mindset i.e. it can be frustrating trying to improve one's playing. I believe balance is the key. Pay attention to your moods for a period of time and see what gives you balance and what throws you off balance. It's true that even a little practice can give you a break and be restorative. Food, sleep etc are also very easy to forget when you get busy. Balance, that's the key.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I get a bit dark and antsy when life gets too busy for me to get in some "touch time" with the bass. My dear wife, who knows me all too well, has been known to stop me in mid curmudgeonly rant with a simple and sweet, "Honey, go practice for a while, willya? If you still want to talk about this stuff afterwards, I'll still be here... but honestly, I think you need to spend some time with your curvy wooden mistress".

Most of the time, she's right.

Other times, the darkness comes on me if any of the following routines get interrupted/out of whack because of lack of time:

Sleep - I know my minimum, and have nobody to blame but myself if it doesn't get met.

Exercise - this routine is inviolate except in times of illness. Nothing chases demons away like a good, honest "my-lungs-and-muscles-ache-and-my-clothes-are-soaked" sweat and a hot shower afterwards. If they could box this, it could be marketed as "Demon-be-gone".

Hydration - I discovered it late, but water is the nectar of the gods. In general, if I'm feeling out of sorts, it's rare that a pint or quart won't make things at least a little better.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Yeah beware of escapism. Bass is great but do it cuz you love it not cuz you're avoiding things you need to address in your life.

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    My wife: I'd like to be caressed like you caress that bass.
    Me: Now? :bag:

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Balance. I tend to get stressed when feeling pulled in all directions and not reserving time for ME. It is important to work and be with other people and rewarding to be with those we love but some 'alone' time is healthy too.

10. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    Sam Sherry thanks man for your input and its cool you don't have to bonk you post. Depression has been a demon that I have always been battling for as long as I can remember this is also is the reason I am so in touch with it. I am lucky enough I had people in my life that knew a lot about it that so I know how to take care of it. I have done all the steps to keep it under control this is the reason why I can tell when it is happening but sometimes I don't realize and its a ton of bricks but most of the time I can tell. I do have to say a lot of people here do know how to prevent symptoms cause thats what I usually do when is go out running or skating that is one of my favorite things to do.

hahahaha

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I get that all the time. I may just steal your response... "honey, you just need a tighter G-string" hasn't really been working for me lately. :ninja:

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Bass; "Not tonight, honey, I have a wolf tone".

13. pejsaboy

pejsaboy

Apr 10, 2010
    And I may just steal your post for a sig :ninja:

14. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I used to get ansty but after I had kids and other adult stuff I to adjust. Doesn't happen to me anymore. Here's why. Music exists in our lives 24-7. Everything consists of vibration. Tuning into that and really listening to life has helped me in writing and playing Music. I play 200 or so gigs a year so there are few days I don't have a bass in my hand BUT on days I am not playing just being observant of all sounds constantly causes my sound experience to change and evolve. I'll also do things like sit at the piano for 15 min right after I get the kids off to school and just improvise. Puts me in a good, almost meditative, headspace for the day. There are ways to keep music in your life.

15. when i'm not playing, others become irritable and restless. i believe they like to see me occupied,"with that bass thingy"

16. This.

My regime is come home, ride my bike along a trail near the house, come home again, shower, sit down and play the bass.

I usually start off on the Upright, because it'll take me an hour or two to get everything I want to do done. Then I'll just do improv off of Primus songs on the electric. :bassist:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021