1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Upright Bass Stands

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by wojiboji, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Hello double bass enthusiasts:

Looking for suggestion on a reliable and very good bass stand. Any input and previous discussion is highly discussion is highly appreciated. :help:

2. standupbassman

standupbassman

Jul 7, 2009
  3. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    I made one with my dad. Requires no screws, comes apart so I can travel with it. I wouldn't recommend it for a high traffic/children area, as it has no neck support, but for my domicile it works very well, and is very stable.

cheers,

Eerbrev

Attached Files:

4. Jeeze....do a TB search. We've had 3,002 threads on DB stands including some pretty nice home made stuff.
    Most players, including myself, prefer a corner or the floor for our basses.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    While I use a sturdy stand backed into a corner, gotta agree with PW about not going back through this again. Hey, wojiboji, no offense intended, but how 'bout using the search function first? You may want to also avoid starting new threads on the following topics:

1) What is the best bass for under $2000?
    2) What are the best strings for jazz?
    3) How can I tell if a bass is carved?
    4) What's the best pickup?
    5) What's the best amp (should I use a pre-amp)?
    6) Do basses really open up? How 'bout ply basses?
    7) Do I need to humidify? Are damp-its good?
    8) Should I/how do I clean my bass and/or strings and/or fingerboard?
    9) How high should my strings be? Do adjusters change the sound?

:)

6. Maybe there should be a training thread on how to use the search function. :smug:

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Per year.:rollno: Be patient Paul. It's just noobs tugging your pant leg asking, 'hey mister, can you help me'? :D

8. Same here. The rubber coating where the bass rests is hostile to old plywood. It was an anniversary gift so I can't really complain.

9. wdnewman

wdnewman

Apr 13, 2009
    +1 for the Ingles. I have had really good luck with mine.

10. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    ...or this.

11. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    I don't like the Engles stand. The cheapo soft foam on the arms of the cradle wears out in a couple months. You will have replace it with something tougher. I used rubber fuel line. It won't hold a large bass like my Golia. The weld seams are very sketchy and one of my stands has already broken after about 2 years. Fortunately, I discovered the ready to break off cradle arm before it dropped my bass.

bob

12. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

See post #10, or go here. Something not covered in those threads? Then please post new thoughts. :)

13. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    You can't use the Ingles that way. Those arms are not for supporting the entire weight of the bass.

Leave the peg out as you would normally then adjust the arms up the the lower bout to where they are just cradling the bass and not supporting its' weight completely. The end pin takes up the rest of the weight and along w/ the upper arm holding the neck the bass rests quite securely.

14. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Yup, see here. Gotta love that search function. I give up. ;)

15. @drurb: You know it's not over until a bass guitar player suggests a guitar wall hanger. :rolleyes:

16. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    :D

17. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    But will it fit into a Prius? :)

18. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    thumb-scream.gif

19. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    So what's the point of designing a bass stand that won't support the weight of the bass? That foam is practically pre disintegrated and the seams on the arms aren't as secure as the average soup can.

If you don't use your brakes the pads will last longer too....

bob

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021