Upright Only influences?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stingus, Jan 27, 2004.

1. This is sort of a cousin to my "no compromise" thread in Misc, but are there any strictly upright players that you count as influences?

Myself, I almost have more upright players than electric!

Charles Mingus
    Nels Henning Orsted Petersen
    Scott LaFaro
    Ray Brown (more his book that his actual playing)
    Eddie Gomez (pretty sure he's upright only)
    Paul Chambers
    Ron Carter

I would play only upright if I could afford one, but since I'm poor, and don't have the room, I make do on my electric with a pick and flatwounds.

Anyone else? No doublers! :spit:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Three of my favorite bass voices are:

Dave Holland
    Chris Wood
    Sebastian Steinberg

getting my 51P in April was my first fretted since 1995. I should be getting my first URB in the next weeks :cool:
  3. AHHHH!!! There's at least one doubler there (chris wood). Oh well. I wanted people who play upright <b>ONLY</b>.

That's cool though.:D I didn't put Holland because I thought he played electric too.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, YOU did include Brown & Carter...both played sunburst P-basses. I used to run home from school to catch a glimpse of Brown playing Fender bass on the Merv Griffin Show's outro theme.
    Carter has played electric with Miles(e.g. Miles In The Sky) & Grover Washington, Jr.

Holland also played electric bass with Miles' "3rd Great Quintet"(Bitches Brew, Filles de Kilimajaro, etc)...IIRC, Holland played electric prior to URB.

Anyway, all the guys you mentioned were/are definite influences/inspirations for me.
    Jimmy Blanton, Paul Chambers, Miroslav Vitous, William Parker, Ben Allison, Jimmy Garrison, & Reggie Workman are some others that come to mind.

Andy Gonzalez, the great Latin bassist, is another.

For some reason, I never really cared for Eddie Gomez' tone...(though I do like his playing).
  5. Jim, I'm sorry. I didn't know Ray Brown played electric, honest! I knew Miles tried to get Carter to play electric, but didn't know whether he really did or not.

Speaking of Latin bassists, I can't believe totally forgot my latest favorite, Orlando "Cachaito" Lopez. His solo album, Cachaito is great!

Gomez has a lot of high end in his sound, and I have to admit I've only heard him on one thing--Bill Evans at the Montreaux Jazz Festival--but his approach blew me away at the time. Same thing with Orsted-Petersen: I've only heard him on "Nigerian Marketplace" w/Oscar Peterson, but his approach and upfront sound killed me as a beginner about 10 yrs ago.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would go with every one of the names mentioned so far - I also discovered Palle Danielsson in the last year and love his warm, complex, acoustic tone - I think if I could sound like anybody on DB - then I would like it to be him! :)
  7. I've heard that Mingus and Levin are good on Upright...
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    NHOP has a fantastic, big tone.
    First time I heard him(story time)-
    Xmas morning, 1976...my parents give me my first 'real' stereo. I'm justing getting into Jazz so I also get some records. One is called The Trumpet Kings...it was a LIVE recording with Roy Eldridge, Clark Terry, & maybe Dizzy; the rhythm section? Kinda drawing a blank, though it was definitely NHOP on bass.
    I throw the record on & the bass enters with this descending walking thing...huge sound & killer tone! Finally a stereo with bass reproduction.

...the rest is history.
  9. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    One of my great influences is Steve Rodby, he plays with Pat Metheny. I just love his sound.
  10. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Chalk another one up for Palle Danielsson! Beautiful sound, lovely lines.

Also: Buster Williams, an extraordinary funky URB player.
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    All of the above are great. I'd add Gary Peacock, Jimmy Garrison, John Patitucci, Marc Johnson, Cecil McBee, and Red Mitchell (an unsung monster if ever there was one).

EDIT: OK, I know Patitucci's a doubler, but what the hell, he's a great upright player.
  12. Heh. Yeah, I know. I just got Wayne Shorter's "Footprints: Live", and I have to say I like Patitucci's upright playing more than a lot of his electric.

(I admit, the only reason I kept saying "no doublers!" is because I didn't want 150 posts saying "Jamerson!", I was looking for some different people. :D Sorry, for any trouble.)
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Paul Chambers is great. I also really like Ron Carter and Mingus.
  14. Charles Mingus, Miroslav Vitous, Slam Stewart are all great, I can't beleive no one has said Gary Karr yet, he is amazing, and Bert Turetszky, he came to my school and spoke to us for awhile and played some of the most amazing music I've heard from a DB. Another big influence for me is my teacher Erik Johnson.
  15. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Ray Brown
    Paul Chambers
  16. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Yeah! Amen to that... Palle Danielsson kicks ass! His playing with Jarett etc, is great!
    Bruce, if you like his playing you check out his swedish fellow bass player Lars Danielsson (no relation). He has a big woody sound and great chops/ideas.

17. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I'll go with all of the above too.

One doubler though, that i reckon is underated on the upright is Stanley Clarke. He plays the absolute s### out of that thing. I actually prefer his acoustic playing over his electric work.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Does Brian Bromberg play only upright? I've only heard a little by him, all of it off of the "Wood" album. Amazing stuff.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Bromberg also plays electric bass...
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Both of these guys have played electric bass guitar in the past. Ron played on a bunch of CTI releases as well as with Miles. I'm not sure if NHOP ever recorded on slab but he played it in his youth.