Upright through an 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fifteenrabbits, Apr 30, 2012.

1. fifteenrabbits

fifteenrabbits Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Alright, so I'm going to go do a little 6 show tour with a roots rock guy and I don't think that my GK mbe150s will be hot enough for these clubs/band.

...but I do have an ampeg 8x10 in storage.

Would I be foolhardy to try and get a fully carved instrument with a realist pickup to play through this thing without feeding back?

Thanks!

2. It will work if you have the 8x10 away from you. Run a line from the amp on the 8x10 (line out) and into the GK. Use the GK as your monitor, have it at ear level or tilted back and pointing up at you.
    I did a loud rockabilly concert to 2000 people recently and used my Ampeg PF500 with two 1x15 cabs. I have a carved bass with a Barbera pickup. I had no problems with feedback, and didn't need my little GenzBenz Shuttle combo for a monitor, but it was nice to have it there in case I did.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Probably not the best idea. First of all, what are you guys traveling in? Will it even fit? Second, yeah you'll probably get some feedback. Maybe pick up a 31 band EQ so you can notch out the offending frequencies?

4. fifteenrabbits

Mar 18, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    we're travelling in a sprinter. there should be room. I might take Marty's advice if the bandleader gets back to me and says it would be useful.

5. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I tour and play jazz for a living. And we play loud. (and soft) I specify a 4x10 du jour on our rider (I don't like 4x10's but you can be anywhere in the world and they can get one--they don't sound great but they're predictable). I played a big concert in Paris. They screwed up and sent an SVT bottom.I carry my EA Doubler head with me. Plugged it in and it sounded great. And very loud. I've played outdoor festivals at wicked loud stage volumes. And with a very good sound if I say so myself. It's all up to the pickup and how it's set up. The Full Circle is the least prone to feedback that I've encountered.But it has to be set up perfectly. Which 9 times out of 10 it's not. I played the Red Sea festival in Israel. The backline choices were a GK 210 or a Marshall bass stack with two 412 cabs. And a humungous Marshall tube head. I let the stage hands lift it. Didn't even know that they made anything like that. It might have been vintage--I don't know. Well, despite what it sounded like I had to go for it. Didn't use my head but used the whole Marshall setup. Sounded terrible---but really loud. I dug it. And by the way---the Realist SUCKS as far as being prone to feedback.

6. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    You could put hinges in the back, fit a hanging rail and put the stage jackets in. Just trying to be helpful.

7. fifteenrabbits

Mar 18, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I appreciate the help, but I have no idea what that means.

8. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Not a lot of imagination, then.

9. fifteenrabbits

Mar 18, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think I just wasted 5 seconds trying to imagine your advice. I remain grateful, for what it's worth. ;)

10. fifteenrabbits

Mar 18, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Looks like I might be grabbing a pf-500 and a 1x15 for the gig.

11. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Of course an 810 will work...Heck, I used two 810's for a few years...playing upright in a stupidly loud band (Legendary ShackShakers). There are of course better options, but it'll work :)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021