Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Upton bass bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 18, 2006.

1. They have a 99$ brazilwood bow with real horse hair. I was wondering if this was a waist of time or a good deal? The price sounds to good to be true.

2. It probably is worth the money but for a few bucks more you
    could get a used pernambuco bow from someone onTalkBass.
    I have three I would sell for under $200 so you might think
    about maybe getting a better one from another player .
    (not my bows but something to think about) Im sure there are
    a few good ones on this site with all the pro's here.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    No waste at all! One of the best deals on the planet. Don't let the price fool you. They could easily sell for and are comparable to bows selling for two or three times what Upton is asking (and have a money-back guarantee). A virtual no-brainer.

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Exactly what I did (used pernambuco bow from TB colleague, price right in that ballpark.) It's been working out great: SO much better than my old bow.

5. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They are an excellent deal IMO. Surprisingly, one of the better brazilwood bows I've played regardless of price. Although I have a more expensive pernambuco bow, I usually leave it at home and take an Upton bow on a job where I'm only using the bow a little bit anyway.

6. I grabbed an Upton German bow a few months back, and I love mine. Sure, it's not pernambuco, but that's not really in my budget (although a used one might have been at the time...something to consider). I couldn't tell you whether or not to go with a used pernambuco or a new Upton Brazilwood, but I can tell you that if you go for the Upton, you won't have made a mistake. They're a great value, and a great product IMO.

7. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    It's not like pernambuco bows turn up on the board here every other day or anything. Just when I was about to order a BobG brazilwood bow my used pernambuco popped up. I jumped on it.

8. I was gonna say the BobG bows are really nice. I only got to play one, brother man Paul's, and it's a German and I'm more of a French guy but I can tell you it played great and was made very very well. Worth checking out too.