Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Urgent help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warwick, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    I found a sale today and was wondering what you guys recommend. I can get a Mesa/Boogie 4x10 and 1x15 powerhouse with a 300 watt head for $2100 and a Ampeg Svt 4 Pro and 8x10 cabinet for $2400. I play tons of Tool and A Perfect Circle. What do you recommend and positives and negatives of each one? Also I am wanting to gig indoor clubs of about 500 if that helps any.

2. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    Can anyone take the time to help me out here? Please guys this is really important

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Personal experience tells me to go with the Mesa rig. I believe the bass player for TOOL uses their cabs as well, with lot's of effects.

-Mike

4. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    How much power would I get out of the Mesa and would it be enough for a indor gig of 500?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Which head is it?

-Mike

6. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    It is the m-pulse 360 so actually it is 360 watts.

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'd say get the Ampeg head for the power, and the Mesa cabs for a little more portability.

8. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    Hey I am off to bed so I will check the thread tomorrow and hope to get some more replies to really get an overfeel from what other bassists think. Goodnight, Jason.

9. Well most of the people wont hear your bass in a club setting without PA support with the type of music you insinuate on playing. Personally go witht he Ampeg head and whichever cabs you want. Cant go wrong with either cab choices but you will want those watts when your playing without a PA. A little more specifics on what your actually looking for out of the rig then just price and options would be really helpful in getting responses.......

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    mesa. Those 360 watts are damn loud ones, unlike the Ampeg B2R's "350 watts" :rolleyes:

11. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I've owned both the Mesa 360 and Ampeg SVT-4 Pro.

The Ampeg is in a whole different league. The Mesa is WAY underpowered, and the EQ section on the Ampeg is far superior.

Get the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro. End of story...

12. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    Do you think that I could still get a tone that would sound anything remotely like Tool with a Ampeg set up?

13. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Hey Warwick

I can't truly answer that question because I don't know any Tool songs. I play in a cover band (60's, 70's, 80's, 90's material) that does about 130 shows per year. I am able to get almost any sound I need from the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro. I've used one since about 1998, and I still love it. If the bass player in Tool uses a Mesa Boogie, I still feel the SVT-4 Pro should be able to get VERY close. I owned an M-Pulse 360 for about one week, and I didn't find it's tone too amazing. I found the EQ somewhat limited. Opposite is true for the Ampeg EQ. You can create most any sound you're looking for, IMHO.

Good luck.

14. +1

15. How can you eve compare theSVT4 power to the ampeg B2R or the mesa 360?
    Or am I just reading this post wrong? :smug:

16. And tone on tool recordings as like most recording is impossible to nail because you arent that bassist. Im sure the EQ section is available on either to give a a very "workable" tone that just might suit you better. :bassist:
    But as far as power goes use the SVT 4 and either set of cabs. When it comes down to it you will be glad you got a more versatile higher powered head.

17. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    What kind of "sale" is this. Those both soundlike very standard prices to me...

Either way I'd go with the SVT4. Lots more headroom than a mesa 360. And the 810 is a lot more portable than most make it out to be.

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The tone of the two setups are different. The Mesa is clean and clear with a deep bottom while the ampeg is growly with a ton of low mids. The ampeg will kill the Mesa in volume, and will have a ton of punch. You will have more then enough power. I say go for the Ampeg setup.

19. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    That doesn't sound like any sort of sale to me. That is alot of $$ for that setup... The SVT-4 pro is like $1400, and the 810E is like $1000, so that doesn't look like a sale.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    One amp won't give you the TOOL tone. You are gonna need some effects, and some skills.

I still stand by my Mesa suggestion. Rooms of 500 are gonna require PA support anyway.

-Mike