1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

urgent help please!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fatjazzcat, Dec 18, 2006.

1. fatjazzcat

fatjazzcat

Mar 21, 2005
    Hi,
    I`m in a bit of a hurry, and you guys are my only hope, as always...sorry for the length

I want to buy a combo for my DB, and for a hard to explain reason, I must buy it NOW...Problem is that models, I would want, aren`t in store anywhere near (Slovakia, EU). Only option is to buy it via internet from Germany.

I want an SWR Baby Baby Blue, or an SWR WorkingPro 10, or would you recommend anything else? I want a strong sound, darker but clear, for small to medium gigs.

1. I`ve tried a Baby Blue, but a 160W model, and I want a 120W model. Is there any difference in quality of sound?

2. I`ve never tried WorkingPro 10, but I`ve found some good reviews on it. Is it comparable with Baby Blue, or is it better, worse?

I know it`s crazy to buy a combo, and never tried it, but either I buy it now (better or worse), or I won`t have any.
    :eyebrow:

3. I`d also like to buy a EQ for my DB. What would you recommend?

4. I`m searching for a quality ebony fingerboard, tailpiece, endpin, bridge, and saddle. Do you know about a quality and reliable online shop (best from EU), where could I find these?
    :help:

THANKS!

2. Hi, Bob gollihur sells most of what you are asking for here: gollihur.com

or thomann.de sells some good Markbass and GK combos in th EU.

What sort of pickup and bass are you using?

Have you got a luthier you can talk to about buying the fingerboard and bridge etc? Bass bridges come in different sizes, and your instrument may need a 'funny' size.

You shouldn't need an EQ for your bass (IMO), unless something else in your signal chain is wrong, or you're playing loud and need to combat feedback.

-Daniel Y

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In my opinion, the Baby Blue will work much better for
    DB than the Working pro 10, with its harsh tweeter.
    That combo is really voiced for electric bass.
    If both of the Baby Blue amps are the same size, go
    for the one with more power.
    The Fishman Pro Platinum Bass Eq is easily found. Its
    a good solid unit that works well for upright or electric bass.
    Just my opinion.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    However...not knowing much about what you are going to be doing. The Working Pro 10 is a perfectly good amp. I know some DB players who have used them exclusively for years and they're fine.

I think I would probably also prefer the Baby Baby Blue at the same price, but the WP10 is a lot cheaper and usually easier to find a used one.

Commonly, the GK MB150 is a more appropriate amp for DB and is priced new a bit less than the BBB and can usually be picked up used somewhere. The MarkBass amps are newer to the market, but are getting great reviews and I believe are more available in the EU than here in the new world.

Hope that helps.

Troy

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I use a Workingman's 10 which was discontinued and replaced by the Working Pro series. The WM10 is a good value if it can be found used, but unless the WorkingPro series are vastly improved, I would look elsewhere. They are not very transparent and the cheap tweeter is annoying.
    A better amp awaits me.

6. fatjazzcat

fatjazzcat

Mar 21, 2005
    Thank you all guys, I really appreciate your help...

-I`m using a Revolution Solo pickup, and a 40y old czech bass, front and edges are wood, back is plywood. I play mainly jazz...no more than 3-4 musicians on stage...small to medium gigs...I want a warm, full, bright clear sound :)

-Yes, I`ve got a luthier, and I know the right sizes I need. Just have to find some.

-I`d like an EQ, sometimes, I just can`t get the sound I want without it. Maybe a good amp will take care.

-I`ve already found one baby blue at www.thomann.de, and I`ve ordered it. I`ve tried it some time before, and I like it. I won`t be experimenting with WorkingPro10. I think it is a good choice...

THANKS again