1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urgent voltage problems!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blamusic, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. blamusic


    Mar 25, 2004
    I have a Gallien Krueger Rb700 I bass amp that I bought here in the states but will be using in europe.

    My problem is how to deal with the difference in power outlets. I don't think I have to many options, but I don't know what would be the best:

    Is it enough to slit of the input at the end of the power cord and just strap on a european plug?

    Do I need a converter, and if so, what kind? I've found some, but they are mainly for short term small appliance use.

    Under the power output on the back of the amp it says:
    AC input

    And next to that:
    Average power: 210W
    Full power: 615W

    European outlets work with 220Vs. I hope some of you guys no what I should be doing.

  2. blamusic


    Mar 25, 2004
  3. Do not just change the plug on the power cord, you will end up blowing your amp up.

    I would first read your manual and see what it says about different voltage levels in different countries.

    If you don't find anything there, contact GK and ask them.

    Some amps can be reconfigured just by switching the power transformer leads to different connectors on the power board (Ampeg for example), others have a swich on the back of the unit that does this. Some cannot be used with other voltages at all.

    The 210W to 615W rating is how much power the amp can put out, it had nothign to do with the input voltage.
  4. bmc


    Nov 15, 2003
    Two choices:

    1. Mod the amp for 220, which isn't very hard. GK will tell you how to do it.

    2. Buy a power tranformer when you get here.

    I highly recommend you have the mod done for two reasons:

    a: no hassle of dragging a transformer around to kigs. They're nt too big...about 4 inches by 4 inches by 4 inches

    b: if you ever decide to sell it over here, much easier to unload.

    I recommend getting the mod done there as gear if very expensive to buy ever here.

    I brought a MB150 here and GK sent me a diagram how to mod. I didn't proceed with the mod as someone offered to buy the amp from the states.

    Good luck...anymore questions? Glad to help.
  5. nonsqtr

    nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

    Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, I believe the GK's have a tap inside so you can hook up the transformer correctly for the European power. Then all you need to do is put the right kind of plug on it. But don't try plugging it in without rewiring first, that'll cause problems like OneWayPunk said. The other option is, you can get transformers that'll handle a thousand watts, they can be bulky but they do exist. I agree that a rewire would be a better option. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can probably do it yourself, it's just adding one wire and moving another. But probably check with GK first, whether or not your amp has the universal power transformer probably depends on which model it is and what year it was built and so on, and they'll be able to guide you in the right direction.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

    BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

    Sep 7, 2000
    Once you change the voltage rating, you'll need to replace the fuse too (to a lower current rating). I'm sure that GK will detail that change as well.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.