Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

US-428 w/ CEP 2.0, Cubasis: Use both?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, Mar 23, 2004.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I wonder... I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2.0 with a Tascam US-428 controller. The Tascam thing came with a 'bundled' version of Cubase (Cubasis), and I've installed the 428 software/drivers without installing the Cubasis app (which is also on the installationCD- got assistance with this from Tascam tech support). I'm writing them again too now, but sometimes they're slow..., so, anyone happen to know: Am I going to have to re-install the US-428 entirely in order to use Cubasis, or can I just install Cubasis from the CD, enabling me to use either one app or the other?

I would like to be able to A/B the two programs, as I think that Cubasis looks to act more like an actual analog mixer than CEP.

One of the answers will be, "Try it and find out, Dude!"... but I'm still on the uphill side of the learning curve with music software and computers generally also- so yeah, looking for a little help here! Thanks much for your time,

Rog.

2. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    your going to want to use both both... cubasis is controlled by the midi commands from the us 428 whereas CEP is basically used to edit the individual wave files you make inside cubasis... also at some point your going to want uprade to full version of cubase as cubasis only supports recording on 1 channel at a time

3. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Yep, I got that info understood- though I believe that CEP uses MIDI to communicate with the 428 as well. CEP is also a pretty good recording program for audio- though it's alleged to be weak on MIDI applications: Sequencing, etc. But what I'm looking for is a way to toggle between those two applications without having to install/uninstall/re-install, etc., whenever I want to use one program or the other with my US-428 controller. Call me spoiled!

The actual problem, I think, is in part that Cool Edit doesn't run off of the ASIO driver that Cubasis uses- CEP runs off WMD drivers. I have, with the help of Tascam tech support, installed the US-428 without the Cubasis app. So now I can use it with the WMD driver that Cool Edit will work with.

When I install the Cubasis app., however, it is installed by default with the US-428, ASIO drivers and all, and so I end up with 2 separate installations of the 428- one independent, and the other "married" by default to Cubasis, and CEP loses it's ability to speak with it. It's stolen away by Cubasis. It's very sad, really- sort of a modern love-triangle... :bawl:

What think ye? Am I trying to get too much flexibility out of this situation? Seems that if I installed the US-428 without Cubasis, I could install Cubasis without the 428...I'm awaiting a response from Tascam...

Thanks for your time, and knowledge!

Rog.

4. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Hmmm. I may have talked myself through an answer to this. If it's right, it was kind of obvious, and I'll feel silly. :bag: I'll let you know what happens... thanks for being there, man!

Rog.

5. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Allright, I got with Tascam and they set me up with the procedure to install Cubasis so that I could do the A/B thing. It was the same set of procedures they sent me last time, when I wanted to use the 428 WITHOUT Cubasis. Go figure?

Now I'm looking to be able to share .wav and MIDI files between the two apps. Think I'll just go to Tascam at this point, though in my excitement I posted another thread asking about how to trade files between CEP and Cubasis. I'm going to get myself chased off the forum... :)help: :hyper: ....)

At least I'm learning something, and that's cool! Thanks for the help ,

Rog.