1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

US Musicman Sterling MAJOR mod project - wiring problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thedaivisch, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    Hi guys,

I recently bought a USA Musicman Sterling 4 HS, which I suddenly got a massive compulsion to mod. Big time. Aside from some decent soldering and wiring skills, I should add I've been very much learning as I go along on quitar electrics.

So...I've now ended up with a Nordstrand MM4.2, an SGD 2 band 70s MM replica preamp and custom switching on thee original 5-way super switch which gives me

1) Parallel H (Stingray tone...mmmm)
    2) Coils 2 -bass Humbucker coil, in series with coil 3-neck pickup (super phat somewhere between Jazz and P-bass tone - lovely)
    3) Series H (Big Sterling tone)
    4) Coils 2 and 3 in series with coil 1 in parallel.
    5) Neck pickup soloed.

When I initially wired the pickups, I had phase issues between coil 2 and 3. I therefore swapped the hot and ground wires on the single coil, but unfortunately the MM neck pickup (coil 3) has the pole ground and coil ground connected on a PCB inside the pickup casing, which meant I couldn't then ground the poles, as it shorted the hot signal. I then swapped them back and swapped the ground/hot on the Nordy, which fixed the phase issue.

However...I don't have hum cancelling between coil 2 and 3. I assume connecting coil 1 and 3 would hum cancel, but does anyone have any ideas about how to get correct phase and hum canceling on coils 2 and 3? Note that the dummy coil on coil 3 is currently not connected to anything (and I'm not sure how to connect it up...)