USA Millennium Owners Survey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smogg, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. .25°

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. .5°

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. size unknown

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Doing a poll to see if I can get a pattern. Did you or your tech shim the neck? If so what size shim did you use. See poll, up to 3 responses allowed.
    I'll go first:
    Shim = Yes
    Size = unknown
    Done by my tech 10 years ago using a woodwind reed.

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I'm guessing you're referring to the US made Mills, as shimming them is pretty common. I had a few, each one shimmed, more than likely with a business card cut to the shape of the end of the neck.

JPaulGeddy and smogg like this.
  3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    Yes, USA Mills. Should I modify the poll to include business cards? Thread title updated.

Edit; DOH! Don't know how to modify the poll.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I had to shim my squier tele guitar a couple of years back. I don't even remember what piece of random trash I stuffed in there. Kind of wish I had read this thread first! I think next time I will either try a reed, or flat-sand a credit card. IME lots of bolt on instruments benefit from shimming. The tape layering idea sounds pretty good too. Clever people around here.

smogg likes this.
  5. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I just found out today that StewMac has full size sloped guitar & bass shims. I will probably change over to one of these down the road.
    StewMac Neck Shims for Bass | stewmac.com

Bassbeater likes this.
  6. My Millennium + is shimmied with a piece of 220 grit sandpaper.

smogg and kodiakblair like this.
  7. Probably wouldn't have been an issue if they went with a lower profile bridge. Anyone ever change out the hipshot for something different instead?

smogg likes this.
  8. Sandpaper stapled into the neck pocket was common on many Peavey basses, I know I have a few left Meridian with them.

gfaulkner and smogg like this.
  9. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I have two Millie pluses. I assume one of them was shimmed by the prevoius owner as the bridge saddles are higher than my other yet the strings lower.

Not really worried about it as I like to dig in when I play fingerstyle, but i wouldn’t mind it going a tad lower. I am thinking of grinding the saddle blocks down a bit on the non-shimmed Millie. Seems a more elegant solution. Anyone have experience doing this?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    smogg likes this.
  10. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I had a few , I used a buisness card on mine , worked fine .

smogg likes this.
  11. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    IMO using a proper shim such as this StewMac Neck Shims for Bass | stewmac.com would be far more cost effective and much less intrusive that grinding down the saddle blocks. But you could very well be on to something there.

12. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    That's a great question.

13. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I recently used a .50 stewmac shim in my Fender Precision special. Worked wonders!!

smogg likes this.
  14. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I use that kind of glossy card stock that Sweetwater sends out with their orders. I cut a full sized pocket shim and shorter ones, 2 or 3 total in graduating lengths as to create a full pocket taper. I'd love to try some of those wedges that Stew-Mac sells

smogg likes this.
  15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    How did you determine that the .50 was the slope your bass needed vs say the .25?

kodiakblair likes this.
  16. @warrplayer
    Hey brother, hope you're well :) My Millennium Plus is sitting at 1.75mm on E and 1.5mm on G,both measured at 17th fret. Saddles are nearly bottomed out but the action is low enough, 1.75mm is about 0.069" or to put another way a heavy gauge D string. How low do you want your action set ?

warrplayer likes this.
  17. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Is that without a shim, KB? Not at home right now to check but I would say That the plus i have with bridge saddles as low as they will go has almost twice that string height.

18. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    You are right of course. Something about adding an ‘aftermarket’ shim disagrees with my sensibilities. Which is silly because like I said one of my Millies probably is shimmed. I’ve just never had the neck off to check.

kodiakblair and smogg like this.
  19. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I purchased all three. .25, .50, and the 1.0 I purchased the ones with the holes already drilled. Tried the .50 first and worked out perfect. Made the bridge much more adjustable.

smogg likes this.
  20. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    Will they let you exchange to two you did not use for additional .50°?