1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Usb audio interfaces?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Highfox, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Highfox

Highfox

Mar 10, 2010
    Finland
    Hi Guys.

(I had a look at the faq's and did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for)

I'm looking for a cheapish audio interface!
    Ideally I'd like to be able to DI out of my amp and into the PC (windows 7) and be able to play along with drum loops in DAW's maybe overdub some bass or guitar or just play along with and record songs.
    I have a Pandora px5 which works ok for putting the drum and bass track down one time, but when I try to overdub or add guitar I get serious latency issues between the daw programme and Pandora.

I have tried it with Sonar and Audacity, is there an interface out there at a resonable cost that can help me?

Thanks for your time.

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  3. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
  4. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    I have a Tascam 144 mkII ... best bang for the buck I think.
    works XP/Vista/win 7 32/64 bit

5. I got a presonus usb. Its pretty ultrarad. Its handled everything i've thrown at it so far.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB/

If you're overdubbing with one instrument and getting latency, its probably not the interface. It may be your computer/daw. Check out REAPER.

6. +1 on the Presonus. Great little box and you get my new favorite Daw with it, Studio One.

7. +10000 on this!! I love mine

8. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Wasn't a "Tascam 144" the original cassette 4-track PortaStudio?

9. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Presonus Audio box prob one of the best ones for the money

10. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    btw, I just picked up a Tascam US-1641 yesterday. Haven't used it yet; tonight's its maiden voyage. But unless it completely 100% Sounds-Like-Ass™ that's gotta be the best bang for the buck in any USB interface I've seen yet.

11. Just snagged a Berringer BCA2000 on the bay for $48 + ship cant wait to try it out with my LX20

12. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I use a Boss GT-10B via built-in USB, it also doubles as my multi effects processor too.
    Its great for practice, plug in the phones and play audio from Windows Media Player or Sound Forge through the GT-10B USB and play along with your sound files.

13. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
  14. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    fast track is $99 on amazon I think

15. I don't know about the fast track, But I own a Fast Track Pro and the headphone output level is really low.
    I used to have a Line 6 Toneport GX and it really worked as an integrated solution of hardware and software (really nice amps on POD farm). It wasn't very flexible in terms of I/O but I only used it to jam along in my computer.

16. fruity2x

fruity2x

Jul 9, 2008
    Ive had mine for about two mo. now and it ROCKS!!! I record band practice using 13 tracks and it has never glitched once. GREAT bang for the buck.

It might be a bit more than what the OP is looking for but though Id through this in there. The US-1641 will do a band pratice on its own....and a few more mic pres and your way good to go

17. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    The Native Instruments 1 in/1 out USB interface that comes with GuitarRig is also a very capable interface for what you are looking to do. Very clean, good A/D, can be easily set up with nice low latency, like 7-9ms. Works like a charm on my Vista laptop. Pakaged with GuitarRig it runs $99.

The Ampeg SVX bundle is also currently selling widely for $99 too. This software bundle is probably even a better bass oriented package than GuitarRig as it comes with 4 classic Ampeg bass rig models and several bass oriented mikes and mike placement models. The usb interface included in this package is the Amplitube unit. I have not personally used it, but many here on TB have with good luck.

all of these options will turn a decent laptop into a very capable practice, recording, composing tool.

enjoy!

lots to choose from.

18. Emphasis on cheap in the request is mine ... but if you're looking for Chinese-made gadget goodness and unknown system compatibility with some questionable sound quality, here ya go: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36130

The site itself is fun to browse in any event.

edit: And this one, too: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34504

19. nboyer941

nboyer941

Jul 22, 2008
    Burnsville, MN
    I went with presonus audio box usb with free studio one software.

Its a winner.