Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USB devices with good headphone out?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tsal, May 16, 2005.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey guys,

I want to upgrade the lousy sound chip in my laptop and am looking for a relatively inexpensive USB sound to be used with laptops and whatnot, and the prime criteria is good headphones/line out quality as I do most of my listening with a pair of AKG 240M's.

Also, the unit will be carried in a backpack with the notebooks and also needs to be both PC and Mac compatible.

I've been looking at such USB units under $200 as SB Audigy NX Notebook, M-Audio Fast Track / Mobile Pre / Transit and Yamaha UW10.

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    M-Audio MobilePre is a good choice. I've been using mine for several months. It only has a 1/8" headphone out connector, which could be a shortcoming. Drivers are a bit wonky, but when they are working sound is pretty good - very low noise for such a value unit.

DD

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Will you need mic preamps? This makes a difference in what you may want to look at.

If you want two preamps for mics, I'd try the USB 1.1 Edirol UA-25. Very stable and high performance for the price (around $240). M-Audio also makes a couple of well-regarded USB cards (Audiophile USB and Mobile Pre USB)

If you just want a better soundcard for line in / line out and are not shy using PCMCIA, I would try the Echo Audio Indigo I/O. It has had very good reviews.

If your laptop has firewire, you open up a whole series of additional selections (Edirol FA-66, M-Audio Firewire Audiophile, Firewire 410, Presonus Firebox.... the list goes on).

Some of these interfaces also come with sequencing / digital audio software if that's interesting to you.