usb or firewire for external harddrive for my recordings

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by groovking, Apr 13, 2005.

1. i use a presonus firepod for an interface to my desktop pc. 2.8 ghz pent 4, i run cubase on a separate hd, with no other apps other than the os. then i send the recorded music by default to an external harddrive. im currently using usb and havin no problems.
    my question is ........would i be better off using a firewire external hd.
    i use my laptop for recording also. its a 3.2 ghz with 80gig hd and usb 2.0 and firewire ports. same interface, firepod.
    gottta go get a route canal.....ill check back later. tx
  2. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You're probably using USB2. The answer to your question is easy: Don't switch. You're fine with what you have.

But if you do start having problems, you should consider firewire. While USB 2 has more bandwidth than firewire 400, it wasn't designed for what you're doing. USB 1.1 or USB 2 aren't well suited for recording unless the drive is the only thing on the USB bus. Firewire is much better suited for multiple devices and the high bandwidth usage that recording entails.

But again.. if you aren't having problems, save your money.
  3. ya, ive got usb2 on all my machines. i was going to try firewire as ive got a firewire enclosure also for an external hd, ive even got a new 160 gb western digital drive. theoretically, i assume id be better off with the firewire?, i do run 8 channels in on the firepod for 8 separate tracks. if it were u which would u use?