1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used amp ,

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tunnafish, Aug 2, 2012.

1. tunnafish

tunnafish

Jun 7, 2012
    Hi all

I am in the market for a new (used) amp something for a medium sized

venue , I like deep sounds , definitely not slap type ,

and not too heavy to cart around , I like to feel a good Bass sound

not just hear it , :help:

would appreciate all your views

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    300-500 watt amp of your choice, and for deep bass, go BIG on the cab. 8x10, 2x15, 4x12, etc. Don't skimp on the spkrs.

3. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    ive seen 115 combos carry a 250 capacity music hall. I personally like 15s. i got a 215 modular rig that i can split in half if need be. but i like the stack. and they are easier to carry that way. my 410 weighs 100lbs, each 15 cab is about 60lbs. much easier to lug around. and can handle all the power i need. got good deal used on craigslist. sometimes someone elses misfortunes in money can mean savings to you.

4. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Ampeg PF-500

5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Good for you on your new purchase! I've been looking long and hard at various smaller amps because I play in smaller clubs. I don't need an 810 backline. Wish I did :)... You'll find many excellent options, the amps have gotten so good in the last 10 years. My two final candidates are (drum roll) Ibanez Promethean, and Peavey Max 115. The Ibanez Promethean series has three versions out, a Promethean P3115, with 300 watts class D power, the Promethean 1x10 which is from what I read a phenomenal 110 combo, with a detachable head and when you add a second cab it goes from 250 watts to 500. Then there's the big daddy Promethean, the P5210, a 210 cabinet with a 500 watt amplifier. I saw a demo on Youtube and it definitely moves some air!

Promethean series: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=ibanez+promethean

Promethean P3115: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-P3115-LIST

My second choice is the Peavey Max 115. In September, Peavey is rolling out a whole new line of the Max bass series. The Max 115 has 300 watts class D power and a white knobbed control panel that's on the top and front of the cab for easy tone manipulation. I've owned Peavey amps all my life and they never fail to deliver, they're built like Mack trucks.

Peavey Max press release: http://www.peavey.com/news/index.cfm/id/616/Peavey Unveils All

Peavey Max at NAMM 2012:

The Promethean P3115 and Peavey Max 115 will sell for $399 new.

There are many here who swear by the GK combos, that are super light and loud. For your higher end tastes, there's the Markbass. I got to use the Markbass 112 and it does get nice and loud, the the quality is excellent. Don't forget to check out the Genz Benz combos, Genz Benz is known for it's high quality and tone. Another top notch combo brand is the Aguilar. Many users here swear by them.

You'll get plenty more excellent suggestions from these guys who are doing it on the frontlines all the time...

Shopping for a new combo is going to be fun! If you can go the extra do-re-mi, you might want to buy new. I try to buy new and also purchase the extra coverage for an additional 3 years.

Good luck and happy shopping! :bassist: