1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Used Knilling Bucharest 1302T

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jtderr, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jtderr

jtderr

Apr 24, 2011
    Berrysburg, Pa
    I just bought a used knilling Bucharest 1302T and I would like to find out when it was built. How would I go about it. Tom.

2. Carbon testing?

3. pkivory

pkivory Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Carbon testing won't work on a bass. You need to cut it in half and count the rings!

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Look at the label (if there is one) visible through the E-side f-hole. What does it say?

Post pics of the bass, including the neck button (back of the neck heel), scroll, and pegbox.

Someone familiar with these basses may be able to narrow down its age for you.

From whom did you buy the bass? What history, if any, were you given?

5. jtderr

jtderr

Apr 24, 2011
    Berrysburg, Pa
    The label = Knilling Bucharest 1302T 45251. I will try to get some pictures.

6. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Ah, the "45251" seems like a serial number. Now, we're getting somewhere. :)

Go right here, click "Contact Us," give them the model and serial number, and ask for the year it was built. You'll get the answer right from the horse's mouth.

By the way, there are threads here on TB where Knilling owners were seeking the same information you are.

7. jtderr

jtderr

Apr 24, 2011
    Berrysburg, Pa
    I thank you for the information. I searched but didn't find anything that helped. Tom.

8. :cool:

Yeah, pictures are kind of mandatory here to ID things. Have a look in some of the other threads where people posted pictures to find out about their bass. Headstock, tuning machines, front back side... straight on, etc. Once you read some threads, it will be clear what pictures people need to help ID.

You may need to upload them to flicker or similar and link them here if you don't have a paid subscription.

9. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    What? :)

10. jtderr

jtderr

Apr 24, 2011
    Berrysburg, Pa
    Well thanks for all the information. I have used the link to contact Knilling and give the information, I'm sure they will get me the date it was built.

11. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
  12. ouch :confused:

13. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    It was intended to be in good fun. :)

14. I used to make jokes like that, but I was slapped quite often :scowl:

15. jtderr

jtderr

Apr 24, 2011
    Berrysburg, Pa
    Well it's been 1 month since I contacted Knilling using the link provided and I have not got a reply. I know nothing about carbon testing and I don't have the proper tool to cut it apart to count the rings. I will just enjoy it and not know the age. J.T.