Used SWR Redhead versus New Nemesis 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doublestop, Dec 18, 2004.

1. I am in the market for a 2 x 10 combo. I play a G&L 4 stringer. Our band plays bluesrock and pop covers. I like my bass to cut well but still have a good fundamental...

OK, now for the question:

I can buy a used SWR Redhead for a little more then a new Nemesis 2 x 10 combo. New, the Redhead is about 50% more expensive than the Nemesis. Would you guys say that the SWR Redhead is much better than the Nemesis? Or is the (built in China !) Nemesis simply a better deal?

In other words: which one would you advice me? (BTW: I'm open to other suggestions. Just shoot them! )

Thanks, Peter
  2. I had both and honestly preferred the red head combo, cleaner sound, yes heavier than the nemesis, but IMO the redhead combo just sounds better.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want the redhead. One of the three best 210 combos made.
  4. Thanks....but....what are the other two ? (I bite :) )
  5. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I was disappointed with the Redhead. Too sterile sounding.

At my age light weight and versatile sound are big on my list. BTW Nemesis amps are made at the Eden factory in the USA.
  6. I would vote for the new nemises. Though the pre-fender redheads would be considered more high-end and hi-fi, I just really like the sound, styling and weight of the nemises. They are voiced very warm and they move a lot of air.

What are the numbers for the used red head and what year wa it made? How much is your dealer selling the nemises for?

Also, is driving an ext cab important? The red head might have the nemises beat in that department.

But 90 lbs is discouraging for frequent playing.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I play an swr super redhead for small to medium jobs, same blues/jazz/R&B material. I like it alot. I've played eden stuff, and find it "a little less sterile" but that's so objective that you're really gonna have to play both to decide if that's a factor for you personally. The nemisis 210 is spec'd at 250 watts, the swr is spec'd at 47lbs, I bet it's lighter...
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Click here: Eden Metro

Or here: Peavey BAM

Get one of those three.....

9. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    well, just to confuse you even more, i'd look at the gallien krueger combos (700rb/210 and 1001rb/210). i have a 1001rb/210 and it sounds wonderful, and the built in luggage cart feature makes its pretty easy to move around. it's heavy, but no more so than a redhead/super redhead. and it moves a surprising amount of air... i got a good deal on mine, and i wouldn't sell it for twice what i paid for it. :bassist:
  10. I play a Redhead in my jazz ensemble and here's my take on it.

My normal tone is I guess pretty brittle, high mid, punchy. This thing is like night-and-day warm compared to my normal amp. The 5-12 fret on the D and G feel less punchy, but almost fretless warm compared to my normal set up.

It's definitely got a warm as opposed to bright clear tone to it with lots of low end. Definitely a high-fi sound.

Can't comment on the NC210, sorry.

Good luck with the whole thing though!
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, of course, the Eden Metro, then one other one that we can all argue about. It could be some EBS thing, whatever. Maybe even a Bassman 400.
  12. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Specifically why? What's different? AFAIK, the circuitry and components are identical post-FMIC. The main downside is frequent FMIC warranty hassles.
  13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I wouldn't rule the York. out on a price point...I have not played one, but the spec sheet looks good...
  14. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Having owned a Super Redhead, I can say that it was heavy to carry, but not heavy sounding. It never cut through for rock music, at practice or gigging. Even with a 15 under it, it was hard to hear in a band setting. Too thin and transparent. I just played a Nemesis nc-200, the older combo. It sounded really nice and had the same pro features of the SWR. It was lighter, but the power was not anywhere near the SWR. Feeding the PA and monitors, it could work. Better sound but less power, in my opinion. I play classic rock and Motown.
  15. thanks all. As always, it comes down to "try them all out and see what you like best". This is what I will do. Thanks.

16. IronSean7

Mar 7, 2009
    i know this is an old thread,, but for anyone looking to buy this setup nowadays,, the EDEN nemesis models are comparable to the SWR workingmans class,, the eden metros and WT class heads are more along the lines of an SWR redhhead, seeing as the red head, ,head, is basically a pro series bass 350 head stuffed in to a 2x10 combo,, the redhead is the bomb!! ive played thru one,, i actually own a 1999 bass 350 head with a 1996 Swr Bigfoot2 cab, its a 2x12 cab, and it sounds great, its a 4 ohm cab with 2 12" Bag end subs from the factory, and it can handle 500RMS, its a beast, if you can find a bigfoot cab, for short money in decent shape, i would highly recomend it, it only weighs 60lbs and its got wheels. Dont get this cab confused with the workingmans 2x12, they look similar but the 2x12 is an 8 ohm cab rated at only 250rms,, im sure its a decent cab,, but the bigfoot, is the real deal
  17. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
  18. wvbass

Mar 1, 2004
    I own and love my Super Redhead. It IS all the bad things people say about it: brittle, not super loud, a little weak on the low end, heavy, etc.

However, its not too heavy, the low end is there with some boost, the horn pad on the back can curb the brittleness, and it is loud enough, especially with an extension cab. I can get a hifi sound out of it, but there are warm old school sounds in the eq, too - you just have to learn to use it. It is NOT a "run it flat" amp.

The Nemesis 210 is a great little amp. I've gigged with one. A lot more/warmer low end, less clarity, etc. I didn't think too much of the onboard compression, but if I'd spent a few more gigs with it, I'd have been able to dial it in pretty nice.

Either amp is a winner in my book, but I'd give the nod to my Redhead.
  19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've only demoed a Redhead in a store, and it was the original Redhead - not the Super. I played it for less than 15 minutes and didn't do a lot of tweaking, so I honestly can't say what it will do and will not do. But the basic tone certainly fit the classic SWR profile - hi-fi in the stereotypical sense (clinically clean, lots of high mids, a bit brittle, etc.) Not a good rock sound, but a very precise, clean tone for pop and/or funk.

However, I've owned a Nemesis NC210 (the first-generation model) for about 2½ years now, and like it a lot. Less clarity than the Redhead for sure, but by no means muddy or blurry. And as has been noted here, much warmer and richer. And it goes deep for a 2x10.

I've always considered myself a hi-fi kind of guy. But on the basis of the difference that I've heard, I would go for the Nemesis over the SWR any day of the week... :meh: