Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using 2 amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Right, this is just a theory because im

A) bored and delusional atm,
    B) got alot of time to waste

What i was considering was how woule be best to run a SS amp aswell as a tube amp.

I'd run the bass signal into a peavey firebass, then from the low output of the peaveys crossover to the power amp section of the peavey, then connect a 215 to the firebass, and i'd use the signal out of the high end of the crossover to the SVT II to power a 410

A) would this work
    B) i think i have this right, or would it be better using the firebass for the high end and the SVT for the low?
    C) dont moan at me, i know this is overkill :spit:

2. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Yes.

3. run them both full range :bassist: IMHO biamping is over rated,

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    +1 Full range
    -1 Bi-amp

I had two cabs (a 4x10 and 2x15) when I owned an SVT-4 and experimented for quite some time with the bi-amp settings on it. In the end I ran full range.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Run the bass into a A/B box, set one clean and one dirty. This way you don't have to compromise meat for grit in your main sound and don't have to worry about low-end loss or lack of definition in the distortion sound.

6. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I ran my B-4R through a 4x10 and a 1x15 with it bi-amped and it didn't sound bad, but I got a lot more power running full range and mono-bridged and it sounded just as good, you just have to play with the EQ.

Now I think that in this case he just wants to use all the gear he's got, so that's cool. However I think you should just run through one preamp if you can because trying to adjust two eq's with one rig is a huge pain.

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Stay away from the Bowmore for awhile... just kidding (I think)... save your shillings and pounds, then get yourself an Aguilar DB750. You can hook-up a pair of 4-Ohm cabs of your choice. You will then have the capability of slaying dragons and visigoths... the Queen will knight you, and you will write songs about me honoring my inspiriation... :D

8. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    +3
    both amps full range but with different tones or two different brands of amps set with about the same tone. This way, each amp will cover the weaknesses of the other. This is my favorite setup if I feel like moving more gear. The best tone you can get in my opinion. Aguilar and ampeg work well together for this. Ampeg has the grit, Aguilar has the bottom.

9. Hmm, interesting, i shall try later on this week !

I could run the bass into the sansamp, put it on say the "Mesa" setting, and use the coloured output to the firebass, and the parrallel output (clean) to the SVT, that way have close equivilant to running my SVT along with a Mesa :D

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Biamping is only useful IMHO if you want a meaty overdriven midrange & treble sound, but still want to preserve the low clean sound with booty. That's what I do, and I love itl. It's not for everyone, however, and the kevlar-impregnated Peavey speakers don't sound great with overdrive... even Peavey will admit that. I use guitar speakers for my high end & midrange, and love the sound... Kind of a one trick pony, but OOHHH what a trick!!! :bassist:

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I agree with most of the replies.

Bi-Amping, to me, is only thoroughly useful for PA and Live Sound situations. I like your idea with your Sansamp... you might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Also, I'm sure you could simply run the preamp out of your SVTII into the power amp in of your Peavey (if it indeed has that feature). But.... The Sansamp method is much more simplistic and inventive.

12. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH

Yup - I do this with Ampeg on the low end & Marshall on the high. You don't need no stinkin' crossover.

13. Yeah, i can do, the only reason i didnt is because i dont know how the volume difference would work, cus the preamp in on the peavey runs the power amp at full, so i would have less control over volume, it worked really well with the sansamp tho :D :D

14. I vote for full range too. You're squandering a lot of low freq potential of the 4x10 using it for just the highs. Mono bridge usually gets you more watts, and all available power/cones are working all the time. Biamping was popular before the advent of really good full range cabs.

Randy

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Run two amps in parallel (see my profile).

Or

Slave one to the other. The difference in sound quality and the two EQs you get will fill in any holes you hear in your sound.

16. did you read the thread at all ?

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You have two amps and two cabs.

Parallel. That is, through an A/B/Y switcher or a SABDDI's two outs.

Bass>ABY>Peavey>215
    " >ABY>SVT>410

Or

Series slave

Bass>Peavey and 215 effect out>SVT and 410 effect in

18. yup, i know, its all already been covered tho ! (and in one case done ;) )