1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

using a built in limiter

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by axeinurface, Dec 10, 2011.

1. axeinurface

axeinurface

Apr 3, 2011
    NorCal
    OK..so I haven't been playing bass for very long (i've been playing guitar for quite some time), I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how to set a limiter for bass? I know it is there to protect your speakers. I haven't been able to get a decent sound with it (I have just been turning it off). so, I was wondering how SHOULD it be set? should the light (which shows it is limiting) be on all the time or just sometimes? or is it not supposed to come on at all while you are using it, and its just to protect from sudden jumps in the loudness? any advice would be appreciated (and please don't just post what a limiter's function is...I know that already). thanks!!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The problem is that not all limiters are designed the same. For example built-in limiter may be designed to stop clipping in the preamp, or in the power section. The light may indicate when clipping is occurring, or it may indicate when clipping is imminent.

What specific amp are you using?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd skip it, as it just kills the dynamics and power of the bass rig.

if you did use it, set it so it only just kicks in when you hit really hard.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    now a compressor can be cool, as it lets you relax or dig in, with both creating a more even, sustainy tone; a limiter as such just chokes off anything louder than its threshold.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ...which can be great if you have actual control over the threshold and attack, and if the limiter circuit is actually "good". Unfortunately those terms don't apply to most limiters built into an amp.

6. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Yar, we be needing moar infos in this here thread....

Wow, I should sleep...

7. axeinurface

axeinurface

Apr 3, 2011
    NorCal
    my amp is a crappy ass crate b-150 head. its my first bass amp though and it was only 40 bucks haha. and actually @ walter..that is pretty much what i have been doing. i have been setting it so the light comes on only when i play really hard (or not at all). the limiter just seems to suck the power out of the amp as well as the dynamics. i am def planning on investing in a better head when i start playing in a band again though.

8. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    The only possible reason for using it would be if you are hearing nasty distortion from overdriving the amp. It would serve you better to leave it off and learn to play within the amp's limitations.