Using a guitar amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pthump, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Is it dangerous to use a 60 watt marshal guitar amp for a bass?
  2. No, just turn it up to 10 and you'll be safe.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    If it is just the head, I think you would be pretty safe.
  4. The danger is not with the electronics, it's the speakers. If it sounds like s#!+ you better turn it down.
  5. Yes, you might find yourself the subject of harsh ridicule from other bass players! ;)

um, even with guitar speakers Mr Redding seemed to do alright keeping up with Mr Hendrix!

But I'm sure he blew his fair share of quad boxes!
  6. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I've just gone through an atypical tube amp selection for bass and from what I'd gathered talking to people in the know (manufacturers and repair) there's no concern for damage to the amp electronics themselves. The problem you run into using tube guitar amps for bass is whether they'll handle bass frequencies (some will, most won't) and distortion. The frequencies can be adjusted by changing filters and caps if you know what you're doing. If they'll handle the frequency, you can vary the tubes in some to clean up the distortion end if you still can't get what you want through control adjustment.

Some bass players running stereo do run the top end through guitar amps. Guitar speakers are what are prone to damage from bass but if the amp isn't putting out the low end frequencies anyway, then doesn't seem to me like the speaker should be at risk but that's not something I looked into and don't know.
  7. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    ditto. Guitar speakers generally cant handle the low frequencies of bass, so if u do use that Marshall, u wont be able to push it very loud at all
  8. chadds

Mar 18, 2000

Not only Noel but Jimi used Marshall bass 4x12s 1935s. or had Jim put bass speaks in regular 1960 cabs. Later Noel used Sunn 2000s with Altec Lansing 421A 15" instead of the JBL D140s. Noel used six cabs. When the Band of Gypsys happened Marshall 100 watt Superbass 100 heads with Bass 4x12s for Billy Cox.