1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using a very old dishwasher

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Apr 18, 2006.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

Today my mom just decided to want to switch over to using our undercounter dishwasher after having washed the dishes by hand since I was born. She put me in charge of actually getting the washer to work. My questions are:

The machine hasn't been used since my parents bought the house back in 87'. I opened it up and it's full of dirt and grime. Is it actually okay to use?

Do I need to check for anything to get it going?

Thanks a lot.

Vince

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

try using it with some old dishes or using it empty first, otherwise it might explode taking all your good dishes with it :D

3. I'd check the filters aren't blocked before you use it, and that none of the hoses have perished.... and that the taps are turned on!
    Why not run it empty first off to clean it up and check it out?
    Also, I have heard of fires caused by switches on dishwashers, so don't leave it running when you're out of the house or in bed just in case!

4. Hasn't been used since 1987?

So,........is her home insurance policy up to date? :D

I think the biggest concern would be a leak. Hoses become brittle over time. Cleaning it first is a good idea, and I would also run it without any dishes in it for the first time. Definitely do not leave it unattended the first time you run it.

If you can, I would simply replace it. The newer ones are more efficient and a lot more quite than the older models. Plus it would just give you the piece of mind of not coming home to a kitchen full of suds.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The rubber seals are probably dried out and nonfunctional. Dishwashers need to be run regularly or the rubber parts dry out and deteriorate. If you want to use it at least replace the seals for the door first.

Or just buy a new one.

Using a dishwasher is much more energy efficieint than hand washing which uses much more water.