1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using an SVT this weekend - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Oct 3, 2008.

1. We are playing a festival this weekend, and instead of hauling my amp around, I'm just going to use the SVT & 810 that is going to be set up. The guy I talked to has owned it since the late 70's.

I've never used an SVT. Any suggestions for getting a quick tone?

Here is an example of one of our tunes to give you an idea what tone I go for.

2. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Earplugs. And a change of underwear.

The best advice I can give you is to actually turn the thing up to where it's working a bit. However, in a jazz setting that could be difficult. It'll probably sound fine with whatever tone settings the owner has now.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Your rig doesn't look that big. Why not bring it? I had to play through an SVT/8X10 at a festival and hated it. I turned the amp volume off and just listend to my DI through the monitors.

4. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I'd turn the Ultra-High on, boost the mids, Ultra-Low... maybe, you'd have to try it out and see what you think. I like to go for a more ballsy tone playing through an SVT and crank the gain to about 3'oclock. You might want to have it dialed back to about noon so it doesn't get too gritty.

5. DickyT

DickyT

Sep 23, 2008
    Hollyweird, FL
    I lack the experience to offer any assistance, but that tune is great!

I just got yelled at by my boss for cranking it up too loud and dancing in the isle.:D

6. There is an issue with setup time. We can either come 3 hours ahead of time and set up, or take time out of our hour-long set, or we can use what is there.

7. Wow, thanks. That is the un-mixed, un-mastered version of a tune on our new album that was finished (mixing and mastering) last night. I'll let everyone know when our record company gets the CD's in.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would suggest setting it flat and avoiding the "Ultra" switches. On my SVT they were quite drastic. Be judicial with the bass knob, too.

9. Start flat, Avoid the ultra switch at all cost, well, ultra hi is fine if you want sizzle as it only boosts but the ultra low makes a deep cut in the mids and makes you dissapear in a band setting.

The thing with the Svt is that you need to use the overdrive to get definition, you'll find that the more you crank the gain the more attack your sound gets, up to a certain point where the distortion is too noticable (well, it is desired by certain player) When you have found the sweet spot with the gain you can adjust the volume and be set, you shouldn't need to use drastic Eq.

10. Thanks. That is a lot of help. I'll start with the gain, and go from there.

11. +1 on avoiding the ultra buttons. Keep them both off, you'll get more headroom and more mids. Go in ahead of time if you can and try to get a feel for the amp. I know when I was touring w/ my SVT and 8x10, it didnt always sound great at every venue. Sometimes it would sound too weak, other times too strong, too bassy, too trebly. I always enjoyed playing on a hollow stage with the SVT/8x10 combo, I think you'll be alright with the setup.

12. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    +1 on the bass knob. On mine you can go from the "shakin booty out on the dance floor" to non-descript flatulence in just a small bass knob boost.

I think the SVT gets most of its loyal following from the fact that it is plug and play- sounds great set flat and it's easy to "season to taste" with small adjustments. This is also the reason people will buy new SS amps today (LMII) IMO.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just used one at a gig for the first time a few weeks ago - soundman owns it - made in 1974 with original cabinet.

I didn't have time to tinker, so I just set it flat, avoided the ultra switches, and flew with it. At the end of three sets, I only tweaked it to have the bass knob at about 1 o'clock, with the mid knob at about 11:30, treble flat. It sounded great like that.

Less is more with the vintage heads.

14. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Bring your amp head as a backup, just in case that 70s SVT craps out. You never know how it's been maintained, or if it takes a bad bump during setup.

In a pinch, your amp head will drive the cabinet...assuming it has a speaker cable with a 1/4 plug.

15. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I like your song! I think an SVT will sound great for that kind of music. I would avoid the ultra switches, and set everything flat. If you've got 2 min before showtime, you can tweak it from there.

16. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver

No gain on an old SVT, just master volume.

I would just do what most others have suggested and start with it flat. I usually bump mids and highs and sometimes cut lows depending on the room/surroundings. Dont worry about it. The old SVT is easy to get good tone from in a matter of moments. I dont really care for the ultra low switch though.

17. opps I thought it was a CL

my bad

18. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I would run it flat and bump the midrange. You've got a pretty burpy tone going there, the 810 and SVT should compliment that nicely.

If it's a large stage, that amp will just act as a personal monitor, the FOH will be taking care of your sound. First priority is to make sure you can hear yourself and the rest of the band.

19. +1. Set the mid switch for middle position and boost it slightly to taste, and you may want to even back off the lows. If the 8x10 is an old one, it will have plenty of highs and you shouldn't need to boost the top end at all. The SVT's EQ is very powerful, but the amp's flat sond is very close to your tone on that recording just slightly bassier. BTW, expect to be very pleasantly surprised at how good your tone is.

20. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Crank it.