1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using cardboard shims under bridge feet!?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JDM, Aug 15, 2007.

1. JDM

JDM

Oct 12, 2005
    I'm having trouble eliminating some neck buzz since correctly positioning my bridge. I've already got 7mm of cardboard shims under the feet (cut to to fit the foot so as not to look too ridiculous). I know I need to buy an adjustable bridge but I can't afford one just yet) I know it's NOT ideal but with this UNDUELY affect my sound/tone? Has anyone else resorted to this in the absence of an adjustable bridge?
    The height of my bridge (bottom of foot to outer edge of curve at the top is 15.5cm)

2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    many layers of cardboard won't be the best because they may tend to absorb some of the vibrations instead of transmitting them straight to the top. But they won't hurt your bass.

You can just get adjusters installed in your existing bridge, you don't necessarily need to get a completely new bridge.

3. JDM

JDM

Oct 12, 2005
    Thanks for that advice Matt, I figured that as the card strips I'm using are so compressed under the bridge that they would be fine for transmitting the vibrations? Any other views are welcome! Cheers, Jon

4. JDM

JDM

Oct 12, 2005
    Just another thought, the adjusters would have to be able raise the strings at least 7mm to resolve my neck buzz issue. Will they do this?

5. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Easily. The adjuster disk is at least 6mm thick on its own even before winding it up.

And you're right, the card under the bridge will be very compressed, but it's still cardboard, and nowhere near as hard as wood. So it will probably have an effect.

6. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Sounds for sure that your in need of a fingerboard plane and dress. Even the 7mm OR MORE may not help if the board is incorrectly shaped/worn.