1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using GK FUSION 1050 as a preamp safe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kwrbassist, Apr 9, 2010.

1. kwrbassist

kwrbassist

Dec 15, 2007
    So hardly anyone makes a good preamp anymore and I have a Basson 8x10 that handles 2,000watts RMS which you MUST have at least 1,500 watts of power for it. I love the sound of the GK Fusion amps and was planning on getting a Fusion 1050 which I would be able to use it for my basson 4x10, but also for my 8x10 as just a preamp. I was wondering if it it would hurt the amp to use it as just a preamp, without connecting a speaker load to it? I contacted GK Tech support and they replied saying it was perfectly safe, but i'm still not sure as I have heard it can damage an amp? Anyone willing to comment on the matter?

2. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Solid state amps are just fine with no load. Tube amps in general: not so much. Not sure about your statement about your basson MUST have 1500 watts. There's nothing inherently wrong with using an amp with a lower rating than the cabinet. If it's a very ineffecient cabinet you may not get the best volume, but it's not like the Fusion amp won't push it just fine. You may be surprised.

3. kwrbassist

kwrbassist

Dec 15, 2007
    According to Basson you MUST have 1,500 watts, otherwise you could damage the speakers in the cabinet....as the speakers in the cabinet are not like most bass speakers.

4. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Straight from the horse's mouth so why not trust it?

5. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Unless they somehow totally redesign the basics of speakers they are full of it and its marketing crap. I'm almost positive all they mean is that the speakers are inefficient and need a lot of power to sound the best. Its still marketing crap, and stupid at that considering how most bass amps aren't designed at 1,500 watts.

6. kwrbassist

kwrbassist

Dec 15, 2007
    Just dont feel as if the person who replied truly understood what I was saying, due to the response looking as if it was from someone overseas.

7. kwrbassist

kwrbassist

Dec 15, 2007
    Well...each speaker has a 200oz magnet, when normal bass speakers have around 50 or 60.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Fifteen years ago, I bought an MB150 head. I too wanted to use it as a preamp without a speaker load. I called tech support and left message. I came back to my desk after lunch to listen to a voice mail from Rich Kruger telling me that it was just fine and that he designed it that way.

Ran it for 4-5 years without a speaker load on it. No problems.