Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using my BassBalls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 2, 2005.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Who here has a bassballs? I have the Russian reissue...and I get pissed off with the sounds sometimes - on the normal auto-wah mode I have to have my (active) bass on full volume and the pedal at about 9 o'clock to get an wah-ing. But then on the distortion mode I have to turn my bass down or it goes a little crazy. SO how do I get a nice smooth auto-wah without having my bass at full volume? I want control over volume from my bass when I play live!

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have an american bassballs unit and I find that when it's distorted (of course I only use the distortion setting) that there is a major boost in gain. But the effect is also very sensitive to how hard you're playing. In other words, you might be able to adjust the volume with your right hand technique to achieve the sound you're looking for.

Dirk

3. If you're quick enough with your hands it shouldnt be too tough to turn down your bass a pinch when you engage the switch. I've too noticed the boost in gain, but its not that tough just to turn down a bit. This pedal is trickier than it gets credit for. While it only has one knob, your bass volume knob, and amp volume knob change the sound just as much. I cant figure out how to get certain sounds I've heard others get, but I've gotten some ones that I've not heard elsewhere.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I also use a bassballs and like it very much :D

5. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    There's little pots inside the unit. I don't know what they are for, but tried some stuff until it sounded good.

Only backdraw to the unit is the big knobs... settings change too easily in my (soft) pedalboard and it's a super-sensitive effect. 1/1000th of a mm makes a huge diff.

Herwig

6. Mr Stress

Mr Stress

Apr 7, 2005
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi! This is my very first post.

Regarding the Bassballs, for me is one of the greatest effects I've ever tryed. I cannot find any problem using it without distortion in my JazzBass. It sounds great with the knob at about ten o'clock (I've got a CryBaby 105Q too and I can emulate some sounds with the Bassballs at this setting). Distorted is great too (maybe a bit "cannibal" ;) ).
    When I use it with my Washburn active bass (XB 400 model) it becomes uncontrollable in distorted mode, otherwise, in the clean mode it sounds like there were no effect on.
    In my oppinion, all EHX effects usually work much better with passive basses.

Regards from Spain

Ps. I'm sorry because my english is not very good, anyhow I will try to do my best.