Using someone elses rig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kronde, May 10, 2005.

1. Kronde

Feb 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    A bit of help please...Last weekend we did a gig opening up for an established regional band at a rather large hall (at least large by our standards). When I got there the stage was already set up with the headliner's bass rig in place. I chatted with the sound man and other bass player and they both encouraged me to use the headliner's rig. I was kind excited about playing through it as it was an svt 400 with ampeg cab so i readily agreed. After warming up through the rig I was quickly very displeased with my sound on stage (obviously the sound man was controling the mains). I wanted nothing more than to go out to the car and retrieve my rig (GK 700rb w/a couple of bag end 15s). I guess I have just gotten very fond of my sound/rig. Anyway, I thought it was probably bad form to discard the headliner's rig and retrieve my own, particularly after acting excited about playing through it. I also felt as though I really shouldn't change his preamp eq settings as they were the headliners and had already sound checked...By the way, the other bass player had his sh** dialed in and sounded great for their part of the show. In the future what is the best option?

1. Screw the other guy and get my own rig...
    2. Tweak his amp to my hearts content and maybe jot down his settings and return them after my set...
    3. Suck it up and trust that the sound man is doing right by the house...
    4. get a decent preamp pedal and hope for the best...
    4. Other suggestions are readily encouraged...

I had a great time playing the show and watching the other band, they were all great folks and very gracious. I just felt as though my sound on stage was lacking and that it sucked energy from me during our performance.

2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    In my use the provided back line and you deal with it.
    Getting the job done under less than ideal conditions is the norm. It's what being a pro is all about.

There's always some little thing trying to mess with your head. Messed up amp....someone yelling "Skynyrd!"...some moron staggering into your mike stand and bashing you in the teeth...the chick in the back of the room that keeps flashing her boobs....

Gotta rise about it all

But yeah, I would have marked the amp settings, tweaked, then put it back when I was done
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i'm glad i dont live in YOUR world.

as for backlines. me, i hate them. most of the time, for a band like mine, backline is just cabs. which sometimes can be ok. when we played the warped tour, we had to use their hartke cabs(which sucked) and when we played the core tour in nycm they as well had a hartke rig.

regardless, i always bring in my head. 9 times out of 10, i can make any cab arrangment sound good. if they say "you have to use our backline", i'll always weasel in atleast my rack so im atleast somewhat happy.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    2, after asking.
  5. Bring your own rig if you have time/space/etc and if they dont mind.
    Bring just your head if first option isnt possible and they dont mind.
    Tweek their amp and return it to their settings if all else fails and they arent going to be mad.
    Worst comes to worst, suffer with their tone and try and compensate with your bass settings
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Wierd, my drummer just called asking if I minded using the place's gear for a gig. I told him I'd use the cab and PA but I wanted my head, etc.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In general I'll use a supplied rig. I've only been burned time the amp really was trashed, the other time the amp wasn't even there :eek: Unless told otherwise I feel free to twist the knobs to my heart's content.

Usually when an amp is provided it's a quick-on, quick-off gig anyway, not three sets. I think it's more important to keep setup short and sweet.
  8. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    :D Too funny.

It ain't that bad. At least I don't lug around a bunch of gear I don't really need.
  9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey

me, i dont mind luggin my gear around. its only 5 peices, my cab, my rack, two bassess and my toolbox.
  10. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I've had horrible experience with supplied backlines. I've played a couple shows where the same guy ran sound and brought his bass rig; an SWR Workinman's 2004 head and either a Yamaha 15 or a Behringer 4X10. After playing through that rig twice I placed an order for my Ashdown/Avatar set-up.

But to answer the question, I prefer to use my full rig at all times. I would at least insist on using my head.
  11. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I recently used a backline setup at an outdoor event with one other player. Hired sound company delivered, set up and ran ALL of the audio equipment. I think it was a Peavey TMax head and Peavey 4X10 cab. Stage was huge so I could hear very well. I was pleased with my tone, but the other player sounded a bit boomy. The only change that I made to the amp settings was switch from active to passive input (after the other players completed) and boosted the 4KHz slider a notch or two for additional clarity. I play an ASe Fender Jazz and that bass sounds fantastic no matter what I plug it into.
  12. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Use your own rig if you can.
    If it's not plausible, there are some guidelines:
    If you use the other guy's rig, don't change his settings. Chances are, he's been through a sound check and has it set up the way he wants it. If you change anything on his rig make it volume only, and let him know you changed it. He may come out and adjust it for you if you ask him for more bass or treble, but don't take it on yourself. It's not your rig. You can probably change the settings on your bass to compensate for his settings, but don't change anything on his rig without letting him know what's up before you do it. If you can't get in touch with him, play it as it is.
    The opening band isn't the reason the audience is there. Be cool, and he might let you slap around on his Alembic :)
  13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The last time I used another guy's rig was the last time I will use another guy's rig. :D I didn't want to change any of his settings so I tweaked using my handy MXR M-80 and got close to the tone I needed. I guess when you are used to the way your rig sounds it's hard to use something else.
    In my case the guy already lugged his cab and head up the very steep stairs into the club and I didn't feel like carrying my 8x10 cab up. The whole time I was playing I wished I had brought it up.
  14. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I used to be in a house band for an open jam at a club here. I always loved hearing other players play through my rig with the different basses they would bring.

I would sometimes get asked if I minded if they changed any of the EQ settings. I told them to tweak it all they wanted cause all i had to do to get my sound back was push one button. :)
  15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It's kinda like that for me with my SWR 750. I have everything set flat. Well I don't know if it's truly flat but everything is set straight up at the halfway point as far a EQ goes.
    I anyone uses my rig I can get my sound back in a matter of seconds.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great advice! I can't stand it when, after I go through sound check, someone comes up and starts to tweak things w/o asking

My advice is to check beforehand if you can bring your own rack...familiar equipment = familiar sound = positive energy on stage! If not, find the backline owner and ask if you can adjust and then reset his settings. He'll (she'll) appreciate the courtesy!