Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using weird sounds

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jimbo, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone

lately i've been getting into making weird (for lack of a better term) sounds. i like to put stuff in my band's orginal songs. i guess another way to put it would be "untraditional" sounds. like i got an ebow to do some things and like having my guitarist use effects.

anyway i wanted to know about some bands that like to do these kind of things as well. there's bands i know of like rage against the machine, tom morello is great. and recently a friend of mine has got me into the flamming lips. but does anyone know of any others i might want to check out?

one more thing, i read something one time about circut bending, does anyone know of bands that ever use this? thanks

-jimbo:ninja:

2. i say check out sonic youth. not sure about wierd sounds out of their bass, but Thurston Moore's guitar makes some of the strangest (and USUALLY beautiful) sounds i've ever heard. if you can, try to download the long (20 minutes?) version of "diamond sea". he really lets loose on that one.

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Radio Head?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Dead Hand System springs to mind.

5. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Have you checked out technical or industrial metal bands (Fear Factory, Static-X, Deadsy, etc) ? They've all got plenty of odd noises and effects.

6. eh... bands that use weird sounds?

PINK FLOYD!!! :bassist:

:cool:

7. Sugarcubes
    David Bowie's new album (!)
    Andre Le Fosse
    Steve Lawson

8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Big Black

Not so much wierd noises as insane feedback and shrieling distorted nintendo guitars to a pounding drum machine and a bass that resembles a chainsaw fighting a bulldozer (i think the bulldozer is winning)

best band ever