1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

V12 or M9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babebambi, Dec 15, 2011.

1. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I like both of them quite a bit, but I have been contemplating about letting one of the two Mesa go, to make room for new toys. Can't decide which to keep.

At the moment I don't use any pedal or rack effect. But if I want to keep only one of these, and still get the tone of both, I am probably looking at some sort of effect, right?

So I could try to
    1) find a EQ and a compressor to go with the V12
    2) find a nice distortion/overdrive to go with the M9

Which route would you suggest? Why?
    What are the effect(s) to try out to get reasonably close to what the other can do?

Size and weight are NOT part of the consideration.
    Power wise, they are close enough not to make a difference either.

Thanks for any advice, comment or suggestion.

2. One thing to consider is if you sell the V12 and regret it, you are probably sunk, since they are disontinued and you rarely see them for sale used.

That being said, I would think it would be much easier to 'dirty up' the M9 with one of the billion distortion/overdrive pedals available than to, in any way, get the V12 to sound even close to the M9.

So, IMO, dump the V12... you save a rack space as a bonus.

3. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Thanks Ken.

Yes, that's reason I had been holding on to both. Not until I am reasonably sure if one can indeed cover for the other.

It really isn't gonna be an easy decision.

There is a certain sweetness in the V12 mid range I just couldn't crop with the M9. If not for the huge low end, the M9 is actually pretty dry to my ear. Mind you not in a bad way. So a pedal/effect to dirty/warm it up is certainly what's needed.

OTOH, I can get the V12 to sound close to the M9 with voice3, but not so easily to 2 and 4 (which I also use frequently). And I will miss the compression on the M9. But again, it seems that there isn't much that can't be solved with some nice rack gear or pedal (the impression I got from that forum, haha)

I am reading up on the effect forum, and my head hurts big time, lol. I guess I will have to put in some more reading time before I go out for field testing :p

I have a feeling that this adventure gonna have me ending up with more gear and less money, hahaha.... which is so not the point to let one of the head go, oh well.

4. Both beautiful pieces of gear, and both with their own voice. Hard decision, and I agree, the 'warmth' pedal market is overwhelming.... seems like hundreds of 'distortion' pedals, and they all sound different!

Good luck. Any way you can just take a breath, save some money up for your other purchases, and keep them both?

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Yeah, probably gonna keep both.
    Thx for the wise words.

It's not just about the money, more about space (well, not really either)
    And kinda want to keep the gear limited to a certain amount
    So I guess I would have to control my buying habit a little better :p

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had the V12 for about a year of heavy cover band gigging. I've had my M9 since Feb '10 and side by side, I would take the M9 for sure. I like what it offers as far as features go and the voicing is crisper, cleaner and gets "my" sound quicker. The V12 shares the M-Pulse voicing like the M-P600 and BB750 and to me is rounder and not as "quick".

However in my cover band I liked having both channels, onboard OD, etc because I had a big 8U rack setup with my wireless, tuner, etc. all in the rack so I only had to use the V12's footswitch and I was golden.
    I went back to a pedalboard setup for this band so the M9 makes sense. I run an Xotic Bass BB preamp and Boss ODB-3 for my dirt and I always get compliments when those are engaged. The M9 does really well w/ pedals, IME as well.

However, if the M9 didn't exist or got dc'd and couldn't find one used, I'd get a V12. :D They're both stellar.