Valenti Stealth Fretless Review!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Dec 22, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

Here's the initial impression:

That should give you the gist of how i feel about the bass :D

I'll do a more in-depth review after my 1212 gets here and i gig out with the whole new set-up, but man oh man does this bass sound great!!

The mwah is definately present big time, but you can tone it easily down if need be with some right hand and EQ fiddlin'

It's surprisingly deep and the OPB-3 is phenomenal at giving you dozens of USABLE tones. I can really bump up all the knobs to extremes and i just can't go wrong. And don't even get me started on the coil taps. They evenly boost the output and tone of both pickups (and give you hum unless even), which is good cause the Fatstacks are a tad quieter than what i'm used to.

As far as feel goes, SLICK is the only word that describes it. I think as long as i keep the neck nice and clean, i might have to stick with gloss necks on my 5s :D The neck on this bad boy feels like home for me. The shape is different than i'm used to, but i don't see it making a difference in the long run.

Balances great while both standing and sitting. Nice and light. and came with a sweet case.

New pics, soundclips, and a more in-depth review to come. :cool:
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    :eek: Oh, my :eek: :eek:

That bass is so beautiful ..... congratulations :bassist:
  3. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Such an attractive bass.

I certainly would consider having one of those made, if I was in the market.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Killer! I love bass-ic black basses. :)
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very sexy. Nino better get a Christmas present for that one!

6. Is permanent patronage a present? If so, then he got one :D

I was thinking about getting some celinders and nordstrands, but honestly i'm thinking about just sticking with nino for everything and forgetting the 6 strings :eek: (Unless Nino will make me Valenti 6. Then i would be set :bassist: )
  7. Beautiful.

How much more black can you get? None, none more black. :)
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    DR Black strings, Black Knobs with no lines, paint the pole pieces...

...inbetween sets at a dark bar/club, he'll never find it.
  9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    :D yes... (rubs hands together with rather large smile on face).

he'll never find it you say...
  10. Hey now...

It'll be real easy to find actually. It'll be that mass of shadow strapped to my chest 24/7....until i get the next one (read 4) that is :D

Update: had to stop playing because my fingers got sore, but man i'm LOVING the sound of the fatstacks in both HC and SC modes. Can't wait to see how an NP5 and a Fatstack sound together. (which will be in my next Valenti order muhahahaha :ninja: )
  11. :)

Do you make leftys?

I'm thinkin' about an exotic lefty 4-string fretless, no lines of course.

(I sent you a PM a few days ago)
  12. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Where are those knobs from? Theyre really good looking!

I suggest (if you can find them) Fender Tapewounds for that. Theyre excellent strings.

wow... thats really an amazing looking bass. Congratulations!

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    WOW!...Very VERY nice...cosidering it came from the largest/highest landfill area in the world(SI, used to live there, miss it...).
    Anyways, cograts & Nino, you've done an outstanding job again...

PS: It almost reminds me of the Haney that Boogiebass has(another killer/favorite)...
  14. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So ace but you already knew I approved :D
  15. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    effin awesome!!!congrats dude!
    just in time for a merry Christmas!
  16. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets

That is an awesome looking bass.
    I am anxious to hear your impressions of the fatstacks.
    I'm in line with Valenti #20 I opted for the DC5's on mine.
    So when I decide to go fretless I'm sure Nino will again get my business.
  17. The fatstacks are really cool man. Definately have that J type sound to them, but they sound more thick and deep to me. And then when you kick them into singles, they get significantly louder and get a grinding aggressive quality that works surprisingly well with fretless (but you also get a little annoying hum). I think on a fretted i'd need another type of neck p-up too keep the bridge p-up from getting out of control bright (which is why i'm going NP5 neck, FS bridge on my next one) but i think a pair of these might go in my slap project bass instead of the Sadowsky's i was gonna go with originally :ninja:

And as far as the fretless aspect goes, i went from playing a fretted 35" 6 string exclusively, to playing this unlined fretless 34" 5 string and i'm already starting to feel at home on this bad boy. ;)
  18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Not into the whole 'stealth' look myself, but Nino definitely makes some cool-lookin stuff. And I don't think I've ever heard a negative word about him.