Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

valve preamp and solid state amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matito, Oct 26, 2005.

1. i'm researching different amps to try out, and i have come across a amp, that is valve preamp combined with solid state amplifier.

now this kinda seems like it could be a bit of a waste to have valves at just the preamp, as the sound could loose its valve warmth as it passes thru the solid state amp?

am i correct or do these kinda setups really do sound better then a full solid state amp?

thanks

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes you do loose some warmth in the SS poweramp, nothing will ever fully replicate that sound you get out of all tube gear BUT hybrid amps do sound great and are warmer that all SS amps. Hybrids don't sound like all tube and they don't sound like SS they have their own unique sound and it's very nice. Actually there are a lot of hybrid amps out there, they're very common.

3. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Plus you save some weight - SS amps tends to be lighter. So it's a compromise between weight and sound when you put tubes in the preamp.

4. +1 Also, there are ranges of 'tubey-ness' among these hybrids, with IMO Eden and SWR leaning more toward the SS sound with a little added 'warmth' and the AG750 and the Mesa Hybrids sounding more 'tube-like'.

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The ABM 500 from Ashdown does a great job using a hybrid preamp. There is a knob which allows you to go from a clean SS tone, to a warm tube tone, and even some grind if you max it out.

6. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I'm getting a Hartke bass head next month, which has a SS and tube preamp with individual volume controls for each - It's really versatile... I find the best sound comes when they both are at 12 o'clock. The model is 3500 I think

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    As long as the power amp section of the head is fairly transparent, whatever tone is added by the tube(s) in the preamp should come through just fine.

It won't sound like an all tube head, but sometimes (depending on what sound you're after) that can be a good thing.

I like the flavor of a tube preamp amplified by the quickness and tightness of a SS power amp.