1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by lonestarwings, Feb 25, 2008.

1. I've been checking out the tabs for this song on other sites but there seems to a lot of variation in the tabs. They all seem too simple compared to what's played by the original artist on the album.

Some tabs just have you playing the same riff through the whole song, some throw in a variation for the guitar solo, and the ending tabs are just all over the place.

Also, most tabs seem to denote standard tunng, but the album sounds like it is tuned half a step down. Any idea what tuning this song was originally played in?

:help:Any advice or help with this one is greatly appreciated.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

You are right. The original version of "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" was recorded with the guitar/bass tuned one half step lower. The bassline includes the open E string (as far as I can recall), so if you want it to sound like the original, you need a 5-string bass or detune the E in your four-stringer.

3. Thanks for the tip about the tuning of the song, Alvaro. I seem to be able to pull it off okay using drop Eb tuning....(detuning the E string only).

Anyone with a link to an accurate tab is much appeciated too!

4. mrman740

mrman740

Jul 2, 2006
    I don't have a link, but I do like that song!!!:bassist:

5. first of all excellent choice for a song to play and 2nd actually, in accordance to a GW magazine I have, the instruments are detuned 1/4 lower.

6. Thanks, that file is great. It does sound like he plays eighths on the song, most of the tabs didn't indicate that, but this file sounds about right. I will use that when I play with the guitar and drums this weekend, much appreciated, thanks!

As far as tuning down a quarter, I guess I will just coordinate with my guitar player and see what he wants to do.