Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Various random nut filings

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bierbass, Sep 19, 2005.

1. bierbass

bierbass

Sep 5, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Suppose one were dissatisified with the string height at the nut on one's bass, and gaining inspiration and intestinal fortitude from earlier threads pertaining to above stated topic, one were to file the grooves lower on one's nut...
    would the tension and/or response of the bass be significantly altered? Or is it just in my head? :meh:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    For me and with any amount of Fingerboard Scoup, I don't think there should be more height than a sheet of paper at the Nut. It should be as easy to press the first finger (per string) in Half Position as it is to Press the second finger with the First one still down firmly. If you know what you are doing, deepen the slots at the same diameter of the string untill you like the height (or lack of it). Be careful because if you go too wide or too deep and the open string rattles, the nut will have to come off, get shimmed and trimmed at the top. Then you risk the Post falling if it is not snug. I do one string at a time unless I am working on the entire nut. Use an 1/8"-1/16"? type rattail file. Swiss makes them but Nicholson files are cheaper to buy. Be careful not to snap the tip. Wear saftey goggles if you don't have glasses. The tip can go in your eye if it snaps when you are rapidly filing the grooves and it jams into the edge of the nut.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Tension- your left hand will have to work less to close the notes, so the perceived tension will be less. The bass won't know, though.

Response- again, the bass isn't going to respond quicker/slower, but you main gain some agility and speed in your left hand response.

Go slow, and use plenty of #2 pencil in the grooves after you get your height right.