1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Velvet Anima problem

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by 61pollmann, Sep 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 61pollmann

61pollmann

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Just put a new set of Animas on my Shen bass. I had used Animas on my Pollmann for several years(3-4 sets) without any problems. Loved them. Last night was the third gig with the new set. Just before the first set, I heard a pop, and, sure enough, the E string broke. I was very careful installing them. They were replacing Pirastro Jazzers, so I widened the bridge and nut slots, then lubicated with graphite. It didn't break at the nut or bridge, but up at the tuning machine. I had heard that there have more problems with them recently. Anyone out there with any direct experience with these? Just to be safe, I'm going to take all of them off, and put the Jazzers back on. Thanks in advance for any help.

George

2. Never had Animas, but if the construction with the Straps is the same as the Compas 180 and Classico, then never wind the connecting tube between strap and wound string onto the peg. That's a weak point in design. Not always but often the string breaks there because of the sharp angle when this part starts to wind onto the peg under tension.
    Also do not wind the wound string onto the peg. The edges of the metal windings might cut the core.

You might be able to shorten the underlength part of the string by using the old Compas 180 tailpiece mounting method. Maybe you need to open the loop for that (don't cut at the wrong end, cut the part that goes inside the other part of the loop), but first try it without cutting. Lift the string over the nut by hand if the connecting tube needs to go over the nut under tension.

Not easy and you might need to remount the tailpiece end several times, but that's the safest way to mount them, I think.

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I think most people have moved on from Velvets because of the breaking issues

4. I did. The whole playing length can be dodgy but the braided nylon ends seem to be an especially weak point.

Too bad, because I loved those strings.

Shoot Velvet's customer service folks an email. I've heard their warranty policy is very generous.

5. 61pollmann

61pollmann

Apr 30, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Thanks. I'll contact Steve at String Emporium. That's where I bought them. Maybe he can deal with Velvet. I guess I'll stay away from them. You have to trust your strings. A broken string on a gig is not fun. This was my first broken string in forty years. I loved them on my Pollmann.

6. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    My velvet anima E string snapped at the pegbox the other night, after a gig while in the gig bag! Back to a spiro red.