Venues - Music Scene- Likes/Dislikes

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by whoatherechunk, Jul 7, 2008.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Hey Justin, hope you are doing well. I was wondering what are your personal likes/dislikes are when it comes to a venue. I'm not necessarily talking about amphitheaters or coffee shops, but more along the lines of your "local" venue in which you discover new bands and having touring bands stop by. I live in El Paso, TX and I must say that the venues are currently horrid (Have you ever been here? I remember when you came to Las Cruces with Ima Robot for Warped Tour :bassist:). The only place that recognized,touring bands come to, is a club in which in the weekdays a bunch of young teenagers barely hitting puberty or old horny men go to dance and rave. In addition, most of the venues have horrible sound guys (I understand that good PA systems, speaker monitors, do cost loads of money), but these guys totally suck at getting the stage sounding decent. The one thing that has angered me is that the true music loving venues have totally gone down the drain. These are the places who had good booking, did not cancel shows, typically had all ages shows, and were a place where people could have a good time. Maybe they were hole in the wall locations, but the audience and the bands were happy. I mean....At the Drive-In is one of the only relatively well known bands that has gotten out of here. Maybe the bands, would have liked more money, but I guess these venues can't afford to promote when only about 50-150 come to the shows. I guess certain alternative music resource streams like Myspace are helping this generation of music, but sometimes I wish everything was a more of a in person, verbal exhange like when bands like Fugazi were around. Anyways....sorry for the rant hahah, but yea....what do you dislike and like about venues whether you are an audience member or performing artist. I hope to someday own a venue so it would definitely be of great help if I had insight from a professional like you. Thanks!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Yeah, I've been to El Paso. Played some ****** art gallery/bar near downtown with Beck; we were ending a tour, driving back to LA, and pulled up to El Paso so our bus driver could sleep. Then we rolled up to a spot, asked if we could play, borrowed a PA and some amps, and played the most rugged, guerilla style gig ever. You must have heard about it, it was so renegade. 2007 I think?

Anyway, I don't think about the venues anymore. I have ****** gigs in amazing venues, and transcendent/outrageous gigs in ****** venues.

But it sounds like what you suffer from is a town without one true, quality and caring venue. I live in a town that has many, so I take it for granted.

As an audience member, I hate over-loud, harsh PA's and expensive drinks. As a performer, I despise curmudgeonly beasts who work at the venues who should have long been put out to pasture after their first tour as a case-pusher for Dokken. Those people suck the life out of any hard-working, meaningful band as soon as they roll up to a club for soundcheck after a 9-hour drive.

JMJ

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    jmj:Yeah, I've been to El Paso. Played some ****** art gallery/bar near downtown with Beck; we were ending a tour, driving back to LA, and pulled up to El Paso so our bus driver could sleep. Then we rolled up to a spot, asked if we could play, borrowed a PA and some amps, and played the most rugged, guerilla style gig ever. You must have heard about it, it was so renegade. 2007 I think?

Me: Yea, I heard about that. It was at a bar called the Black Market hahaha. I wish I could have gone but it was totally unexpected. Yea that's really never been used as a venue but I mean that pretty much sums up what the music scene is like down here.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021