1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Verklarte Nacht

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by anonymous12251111, Jul 18, 2007.

1. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Hi there, I'm considering doing the String Orchestra Arrangement of Verklarte Nacht for my senior chamber music recital. 2 VL, 2 VIOL, 2VCL, 1DB.

Has anyone performed this as a septet?

Does anyone know of any recordings? I believe the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra did one.

2. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    The Orpheus recording is terrific, but it's a larger group. The two most common configurations are as a sextet (original version), and as a chamber orchestra with more players on the various parts. The bass part in the chamber version is sort of similar to the 2nd cello part in the sextet version, although simpler. If you did it as a septet you'd want to be very careful will the low end balance in the group. Have a look at the 2nd cello part- maybe you could play it on the bass in a sextet; particularly if you have an extension.

Great piece no matter how you slice it.

3. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I've never actually heard a septet recording, but good luck...

This piece has to be one of the most striking, stirring, and plainly beautiful compositions I have ever heard. Way back in college, I took a course where we studied this piece, and I probably listened to it about twenty times for the course--and then about five hundred times since then, it's so compelling. Really grows on you, as well.

You must be an awesome musician to even contemplate this project...