Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very long page loading at first, then speeds up?

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by HeavyDuty, Jan 15, 2006.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Paul -

I've been having a page loading problem here at TB for some time.

Each time I come to TB, it takes a very long time to load the first ten or so pages I visit, then it speeds up considerably. This is unique to TB - I regularly visit other Vb-based pages with no problems. I'm on dialup, XP Pro, IE 6 with automatic checking for updated versions of stored pages set.

Is there some kind of load on visit happening here, maybe for subscribed threads? I'm at a loss.

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I'm not sure what is causing your long load times. I'm sure the dialup doesn't help ;) Are you doing something different when it all of a sudden speeds up? If you're 'getting new posts' this can be server-intensive and may take a few secs... but in general even under full traffic our server isn't near maxing out.

You might try doing a tracert to talkbass.com to see where any hiccups might be. Open up your command prompt in windows (accessories) and type:

tracert www.talkbass.com

If you do this while it's slow, and compare to to when TalkBass is fast, it may shed some light.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Paul - I'll try that.

BTW, what am I looking for?

4. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    There will be a list of numbered "hops", each one with a readout of the number of milliseconds it takes to get past it. Look for bigger numbers, like over 500ms, or any instances of asterisks (*). This means the data is having trouble getting past that leg in its journey

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Paul. I just looked now when things were crawling, and I was getting average times in excess of 4000 ms.

Any ideas on how to deal with this? Pour Red Bull into my PC, maybe?

6. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Take a look at where the 4000ms times are occuring - this might give you some clues. Also, you may want to copy/paste the tracert report in a complaint to your ISP. My only other suggestion would be to get broadband ;)

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Paul, if Broadband were available here, I'd have it!

8. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    doh! :(