1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

vgs pickup change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by saved, Aug 14, 2012.

1. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    hi i have the vgs cobra 5-string and i am thinking to change the pickups.i wan a deep and mudy sound but i can't choose whits pickup is the best for me.any idea please?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That bass has a three band EQ. If you want a muddy tone, turn the treble and mids down and turn up the bass.

You probably also want to use flat wound strings, and not the round wounds it came with.

3. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    i have try this but the pickups have strong mids and if i turn them down i am loosing much volume.thats why i am thinking to change them with bartolini or something but i am new bass player.i play 20 months and i have no idea about all that.i like playing slap but only thumb not poping

4. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You should start off with all the tone controls on the bass flat. That would be at the center detent (click). Then set up your amp for a good tone. Then if you want you can boost the lows and highs a little. Never turn the tone controls all the way up, not on the bass or your amp.

If reducing the mids makes the bass quieter, turn your amp up.

I think you find you can get a much better tone this way.

If that still doesn't work, try the new pickups. But since you are new to playing, you are also new to getting a good tone from your bass.

5. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    i will try this:) i hope it will work.thank you so much :) i will reply with the results

6. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    i think i make it.i found a very nice sound.not as deep as i wan it but i think i can play with this.thanks for the help :)

7. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    maybe you´re going for a sound you heard on CD. mids get lost in a full mix, so it´s often not as "deep" sounding as you think it is

8. saved

saved

Aug 14, 2012
    greece
    now.i am going for a sound i will like it.i know in the studios they make terible things with the equipment and you listen what they wan not what they play..i just looking for a sound that fits with my playing style and my songs

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Exactly. I've heard bands where the players is getting just all low end with little mids and no highs, and you can't hear what notes they are playing. Right near the amp they probbaly think it sounds great. But it's just a noise in the background out front.

Like I always point out, listen to isolated Motown tracks to hear how bright the basses often were. That made the bass stand out in the mix, even if you don't hear the high end.

Motown Mix