1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vibration Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TroyK, Nov 4, 2013.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Okay so, a friend just showed me one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CTM94G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I immediately bought 3 of them from Amazon for $10.80 each. 2 as XMas gifts for my nieces and one for myownself. Basically, it's got a jack for your cell phone, computer, iPod or whatever and the little dome with the surface area of a quarter that you stick to something.

Until you stick it to something it sounds like bad computer speakers, but stick it to a waste can, a file cabinet, an empty water bottle, even a chair and it sounds huge. I mean huge. An empty cardboard box sounded best. The fidelity wasn't perfect, but it was coming from a phone through random items and it was $10. Absolutely amazing.

So, my first thought was.....has anyone tried to build a DB amp like this yet? Can you imagine carrying a micro head and a line out to a suction cup that you stick on the nearest barstool or box or stage or whatever? It weighs 0 lbs and fits in your shirt pocket!

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Ah, old wine in new bottles. :) See this from 1977. I think the requirement of relatively high sound-pressure levels at low frequencies pretty much makes any adaptation to bass amplification quite impractical. Sorry. Physics can be a bitch. :)

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Awww maaannnn... I hate it when science doesn't cooperate with me.

Still, you should all buy one of these for $10. I won't replace your 1970's Marantz, but take it out on the patio or to the beach with your phone and you'll amaze your friends.