1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Victor Bailey Candy Apple Red Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alehouse, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Alehouse

Alehouse Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Getting older is not fun and not realizing that one of your favorite bass players passed away after the fact is not fun either. I found out recently that Victor Bailey passed away. I have had his Red Candy Apple Red '66 jazz bass since the eighties. I purchased it at St. Marks Music Exchange back then. Great little music store on St. Marks Place in Manhattan. Funny, I found a posting someplace on here that stated I never wanted to sell the bass back to Victor. I actually wanted
    to and even met Victor at a Chick Corea show at The Bottom Line and mentioned it to him. He seemed excited to talk about it but got swooped away by his lady companion and never got to see him again. Unfortunately, i was never able to get in touch with him through the years and sat in my collection. Primarily because I ended up doing other things like running a business, being a father etc.. When I purchased it had Emgs in it and the old preamp went on the blink after a couple of years while I was playing it. I ended up taking it to Rudys and they replaced the emgs and the preamp with a Bartollini preamp. I still have the original preamp. Years later I noticed victor etched his name under the pickguard. Unfortunately, I don't have any provenance on it. Anyway, I figure I would just put this out here to see if anyone knew anything about it. The first picture is of the bass and the last two from an article in Guitar Player from 1984 where he talked about the bass.

Attached Files:

basscal, NonDJ, Ghastly and 4 others like this.
  2. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    I love when he played it here! I assume that's the same bass. Volcano for Hire is one of my favorite tunes- that last section is unreal!

3. Alehouse

Sep 2, 2012
    He was one of the best. As far as I know and have known this is the bass.

R Upsomegrub and Garret Graves like this.
  4. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Well, enjoy that bass, it has the mojo. If you ever come out to SoCal with it, hit me up, I'd like to see it in person!

5. Alehouse

Sep 2, 2012
    I have enjoyed it. Lol. I used to play it all the time when I was younger. It has been part of my collection since I purchased it in the eighties. Haven't really been playing the last twenty years, so pretty much has been in a case for a long time. I wish I would have looked for him a few years ago. Anyway , if I do come out west I will let you know.

Garret Graves likes this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Great bass, great player , great story .

Alehouse likes this.