1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Victor Bailey Domino Theory

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Garret Graves, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Anybody else familiar with this old Weather Report album and title track? The entire first half of the song (Domino Theory) is a very impressive bass solo, low and fast, with tasteful phrasing. I'd like to eventually transcribe it. Swamp Cabbage is another tune from that album that features bass covering the melody and a very lyrical solo. Vic is one of my favs!

2. clodhopper

clodhopper Guest

Jun 6, 2011
    There is a great video of this band playing this material - Live in Tokyo 1984. I used to have a bootleg (alas long gone) of this band at Glastonbury around the same time and Victor Bailey is just amazing on this.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    They just released a double live CD from '83, great stuff.

4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    One of the supposedly best WP records ever, and one I have never heard (And I have all the other ones). This one is long out of print and on sale with Amazon for a mere 183 dollars?

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Wow, I played the casette for years in my car until it fell apart. The CD, that is.:D

6. Garret Graves

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Yeah I saw how rare and expensive the CD is, it is on iTunes though for cheap, I recommend Domino Theory and Swamp Cabbage. Glad I'm not the only one out there who knows this great album!

7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
  8. Garret Graves

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Thanks clodhopper I'll search it out!

9. Db Waltz and Predator are pretty bad tunes too.

Legal Sounds has it for 73 cents

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i think i bought this for around 30 bucks back when i was helping keep audiophile imports in business by buying reissues of the same albums over and over again whenever the japanese would re-release something. i think i have 4 or 5 different remasters of black market.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  12. jerry

Dec 13, 1999

13. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Great record, still have the vinyl. I remember thinking how tough it surely was taking the bass chair, and how he did his own thing w/o trying to copy Jaco. And his own thing is bada$$.

14. MrDOS

MrDOS Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Colorado Springs, CO