Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vigier Arpege basses anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Does anyone own one of these?Any pics or info?They have a site but hard to find much info on them.They look sweet.Interested mostly in 5 stringers.
    Thanks.

2. All I know is that Geezer Butler played a bunch of them (6 I think), and Jason Newsted has one.

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I'm the proud owner of a Vigier Arpege. It's a great bass, yep.

Pics, first !!
    => http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/matos/vigier/vigier.html

[​IMG]

Mine is almost as old as me (november 1984). The neck is made of wood, not carbon. But the fingerwood was allready done in phenowood.

There is nothing in this bass I don't like. I would not have been against having 24 frets, yes, but really, I can't find any other drawback.

The sound is quite flat, could we say. Not full and warm like my Tune for example. But not flat like empty, no... It's a great sound, perfect in band situation, right into the PA. And as it's not really warm, you can do whatever you want with it, just by turning the 2 pots of the inboard preamp. Which is not the current one, mine is a parametric one (freq, amplitude), instead of the current 6 positions switch.

To make a long story short, you can do what you want with this sound. Depending on the settings, you can play modern technics like slap/tapping or warm big soun for reggae. No kidding (almost...).
    There is also a great attack, and very good dynamic. More a "modern" sounding bass than a vintage one.

Let's be honest, it's not the best bass I ever played, but it's the best I ever owned, an it's far enough a good bass for me.

I don't see why I could sell this bass, I just love it.

4. yeah you played a Ritter :D

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The new Arpege series III is heavily upgraded, it's right up there with the best.

Slug

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I want one so bad. Frickin things are elusive!

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

>>>> Very rare to see one for sale used. Pretty much have to go new. Wait time is about 7 mos.

Slug