1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Villex Pickups.. just hype?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 21, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    has anyone ACTUALLY used villex pups. are they that great? or would say, a set of barts js cover just fine?

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The P-style p/u I have on one of my Hanewinckels is, indeed, great. The passive boost is excellent, too and I love the ability to boost mids on a passive p/u.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    they are excellent pickups, and may be what you're looking for. Alternatively, it might be Barts, Nordstrands or any other make that floats your boat. Only you know that.
    I'd suggest using the search function, you'll find MANY threads on Villex pickups - also check out the pickups faq and you'll find a link to a thread of mine where I recorded many different types of pickups in a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Including Villex, Barts, Nords, SDs etc

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, as far as the sound i'm looking for, think anything by incubus. because i want to do everything dirk lance could do. cut trough in a heavy mix and lay down smooth jazz lines along with bright and lively slap lines. all with the same bass.

i think j's cover this spectrum best. but singles or split coils? and bartolinis seem to me like they would work well.

any suggestions?

5. i heard dirk used active duncan's (in his warwick i think?), cant remember the model exactly, but damn they sound good.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use Villex pickups and really like them,I even use them in my Adler fretless Sub Contra bass and the lowest open string is 17 hz and the Villex handles the low end thickness of my Sub Contra Bass like a breeze.The Villex pickups really are impressive even if their not for everyone,the clarity and smoothnes of the Villex can't be denied.William Villex is working on a new series of pickups That I can't mention anything about but they will be on the market in a few months.

7. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I use them and like them. Big frequency range, lots of control, no battery, plenty of bottom.

I am very intrigued about these new pickups he is making.

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i know he had a warwick streamer 5. actives would make sense in that context.

maybe i should look at emgs or duncans.

prolly a lil cheaper than barts, and definitely cheaper than villex, nordies, etc.

do the villex cut well in a loud rock band setting?

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  10. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i tried but it won't let me open the folder :(

so do you think that villex can emulate stuff from incubus well? because if they can effectively do that, they can do anything i need.

11. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I have a Modulus VJ4 with the Villex jazz pickups (fairly recent factory option). They do EXACTLTY what you describe above, with beautiful rich tone in every range. I love the ability to play a passive instrument and have such control and variety. :smug:

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    One of the things thats most interesting about the Villex passive system is that it can hang with most active systems out there,very versatile in the tonal spectrem.

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    so you guys are basically all highly recommending them? :)

say. compared to emg actives?

then i'm thinking its time to place an order.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Think about it,have you ever heard anybody that has come into contact with Villex pickups say anything less than,about the sound and qaulity of tonal versatility from a Villex system?the Villex system is not to warm not to sterile not to Hi-Fi they seem to be just right in the mix of all the others combined.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, I'd recommend them as good pickups. Just as I would other brands
    Those are good too, depends on the sound you want. They're not as bright as EMG actives, Villex are not as 'hi-fi' as people make them out to be. However, since taste is subjective I have no way of knowing if you'll like them or not. I haven't heard enough Incubus to have a good handle on what the tone is you are talking about.

btw, I moved my jazz pickup clips to a more accessible place - http://pickups.dmw.ftml.net - when it asks for logon details, leave user blank and password is talkbass

16. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i listened to all of them. and definitely villex on top, followed by the duncans.

its hard to believe that those villex's are passive.

i think those clips have made up my mind.

makes me wanna change the thread to ?"NOT just hype". :)
    -pc

17. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    is there a major difference between the single coils and split coils?

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I've only used the single coils and among my previous comments on the Villex pickup I have to say that they are very quiet.