Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Ampeg HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jan 24, 2006.

1. i have in my possession an Ampeg B-100 (not the rocket amp). It is vintage circa 1960-1979. Not sure of the year, all that I know is that's it old, and the speaker is blown. I don't know what the wattage is, but it is a 10" speaker.

Here's the information that I accumulated on the beast

MFG Number: ASB100
    Model:1101
    120V 50/60HZ
    Help?
    Oh there is a tweeter slot available on the combo. Any and all help is much appreciated.

2. *Bump*
    What kind of speaker would work well with a combo amp that I don't know the wattage to? :help: 10" speaker, help please!

3. That's not a tweeter hole. It's a port.

I have that amp and the previous owner had installed a very ghey car audio woofer in it.

I'll look later and see what kind of Eminence I put in.

4. BTW, mine has been modded for max power and it puts out exactly 24 clean watts @ 8 ohms.

:eyebrow:

5. Cool. Let me know as soon as you can what kind of speaker you put in, the difficulty of installing the new speaker, and is it worth the investment, a nice little practice amp always comes in handy. :bassist: Bass on, brother of the low-end!

6. OK, the speaker is an Eminence GAMMA 10".

Prolly a little bit nicer than need be. The Delta would be just as good in this amp I believe.

7. What did you mod on the amp exactly? And what's the cost?

8. I'd get the Beta. Good for 250watts and has a 2" voice coil which is good enough for the SVT cab. Orange Co. Speaker has 'em for about $70. Anything else seems like overkill.

9. My tech suggested and did the mod. BTW, "mod" in the traditional sense of amp-modding may be a bit strong.

But he suggested the modification of some of the transistors and resistors that according to him would make it louder.

These parts on the work order are labeled as "TIP 41C" and "TIP 42C". They were $3 extra. So I said sure.

10. lyngaaskhan

lyngaaskhan

Jul 8, 2013
    Yeah, I know this is a really old thread, but I picked up a vintage Ampeg B100 for free off Craigslist. I can't seem to pass up free or cheap vintage gear. This unit was complete with a good speaker, but sounded like it was running through a fuzz effect. Found this thread and decided to swap the power transistors with TIP41C and TIP42C. Worked great! Having the schematic glued to the bottom of the amp chassis was a bonus. Very easy no-solder replacement as the wires end in connectors that slide onto the transistor leads. The transistors are bolted to the back wall of the chassis. Just make sure you connect them correctly - Q6 (610289-1 on the schematic) is the PNP transistor (I used NTE332) and Q5 (610289-2) is the NPN (I used NTE331).

Surprisingly decent sounding little amp. If you have one lying around that's sounding weak or fuzzy, give this 5 dollar update a try.