1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage fender frets?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Steamdonkey, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Steamdonkey

Steamdonkey

Oct 29, 2018
    I picked up a compromised 88 Fender Power Jazz Bass Special because I wanted the knobs. This one had the frets pulled out and slots filled. To my delight, they were filled with like, hardware store filler or whatever.. no integral strength and very easily removed. I have gently cleaned out all of the slots using a single edge razor blade. No saw, no chipping (except for what ol' Ham-fist did when he yanked them) Really just lucked out and cleared that stuff out of the channels. I am a skilled guy but this will be my first re-fret, level and crown project. I should add that this is for my own satisfaction. I believe that Fender used what is now referred to as "vintage standard bass frets" as orig. equipment on this run of mij pjb instruments, Concur? This wire is available pre-cut and formed to a 7.25 radius, which matches the radius of this neck. Any info, corrections etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.