1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage G&L Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thechillinvillain, Apr 19, 2014.

1. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Forgive me if there is already a Vintage G&L club; I searched and couldn't find it. Found the G&L club which had a lot of posts, so I figured there'd be room for a club focused more on older G&L's. Anyways, the basic criteria for "vintage" is that the bass has to be from when Leo Fender was still alive; i.e. <1991.

Here's mine to start it off. 1987 SB-1, Maple neck and I think Maple body, but I'm not 100% sure on the body and wouldn't mind some help ID'ing the wood. The pic's don't really do the bass justice (my photography skills are pretty weak), but some of the flame came through. Had it since I was 12, now am 29. My dad and I found it in the sleaziest pawn shop in Dallas, TX for $389. Pops talked them down to $300. It's the best P-Bass I've seen in my travels, and has even made folks who own P-Basses from the 50s/60s/70s in Austin jealous.

tumblr_n4agw43W1e1tzpjvto4_250. tumblr_n4agw43W1e1tzpjvto2_250. tumblr_n4agw43W1e1tzpjvto3_250. tumblr_n4agw43W1e1tzpjvto5_250.

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Very nice SB-1. I have a friend who has acquired a number of 80's G&L guitars over the years and one L-1000 bass. G&L's are underrated, at least compared to "collectable" vintage Fenders and luckily so as they are players instruments for a reasonable investment. I'd love to see those Interceptors and El Toro's and hear opinions on them. Subbed.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Mike A likes this.
  3. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    I've an '83 El Toro. First year production of that bass. Great instrument. I had to change the pups though. It's got S-D J/P config now. Plays great and sounds fantastic.

4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    gotta' show pics!

5. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Ok, here:
    G-L-ElToro.

6. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Thanks friend, I definitely agree that vintage G&Ls are really underrated. Like you said tho, definitely good for players because they can get a vintage Leo Fender custom shop type instrument for much less than a comparable fender.

Also, beautiful El Toro Joelns! I bet its a beast.

7. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks. It's wonderful. Every one of those nicks, wear marks, etc., has history. I bought it new in '83. It's currently my only bass.

8. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Damn, bought it new in '83 and its your only bass now. We should give you a special award.

9. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Ha! When finances allow, I'm planning to get a Sadowsky. My G&L needs some work to bring it back to shape and it would be a good idea to have another. It need a fair bit of fret work, the tone pot may need changing, and I'd like to get a battery access port cut in the back for the active electronics.

10. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    A sadowsky's def a great addition to any collection, and of course any work to get the G&L back in shape is well worth it. I forgot to mention also that you need a member Joelns, and cuz you posted yours quick that you're number #2!

11. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Thank :)

kkaarrll likes this.
  12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It seems to me like people are starting to catch on to these now. Bummer for us, too, as now the prices are starting to climb. They're still a bargain for what you're getting, most of the time.
    I love the shape of the G&L necks from the early-mid eighties. Two out of my three L2Ks have minor neck issues, though. I've just been too busy gigging them to put them on the bench and fix 'em!

I don't have any pics (and I'm not really looking for a number), but you can definitely count me in as a big fan of these basses. My L2Ks are an '83 (reddish mahogany w/ rosewood), and '85 fretless (white ash w/ ebony) and an '87 (natural ash w/ rosewood). I'm on the lookout for an early eighties with a maple board, and a little army of L1Ks wouldn't be unwelcome in my home, either!

kkaarrll likes this.
  13. cuttermkr

cuttermkr

Mar 30, 2014
    I'll jump in with my '86 L2000. My #1 for years I've had it since about '88. Love G&L's. L2000.

Templar and thechillinvillain like this.
  14. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Here's a couple mahogany body 1982 L-series basses I owned up to a couple months ago. (I still have an '80 and an '81 L1K, both w/mahogany bodies)

qkg5.
    pqj7.

15. thechillinvillain

thechillinvillain

Apr 18, 2014
    Beautiful basses everyone, keep 'em coming! The L-2000's look like complete tone machines, and the L-1000 looks like it would give any stingray a run for its money.

cuttermk3 - #3
    smcd - #4

16. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I'll have to put a picture of my 86 all maple ( body and neck/fingerboard) with prototype pickups up here when I get out of work

17. I have some, including a couple uncommon ones.

Like this '85 Lynx in Bahama Blue. Essentially a SB-2 with contours and a rosewood board. The monstrous mids-heavy sound of this bass is incredible.

IMG_0016_zps4a18d1ad.

'88 El Toro in super-rare Yellow. Lotta horsepower under the hood of this brute.

IMG_0121_zpsad1bb7bf.
    '81 L-1000 poplar body/ebony
    100_1430_00.
    '80 L-1000 hogburst
    100_1429.
    '81 L-1000 poplar (possibly maple) body
    IMG_0067_zpsadaa0c72.
    '83 L-1000 poplar body, old-style headstock, chunky neck. The magnets on this MFD are so strong I have to keep the pickup way down to avoid the "chorus effect". Leo did a lot of tinkering during the early G&L transition years, pickups were no exception.
    IMG_0029_zps59cc729e.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    devnulljp, AGH, 2cooltoolz and 3 others like this.
  18. funk7856

funk7856 Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Atlanta
    IMG_0989.

JIO likes this.
  19. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    I have 4 early 80s G&Ls, all lefty. 83 L2000:
    GEDC0349.
    2 L100s: 83 fretted:
    L1000pic1.
    81 fretless:
    GEDC0100.
    83 SB-2:
    GEDC0042a.

devnulljp, Membo, AGH and 2 others like this.
  20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    hopefully i will get my black 83 l2k back on monday or tuesday, it was in for a major overhaul