1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage or Modern Modded P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Glassjaw20, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Right now im debating on whether or not to mod a new pbass or just to save up one more week and just get a vintage p. mind you that id be saving up for a mid to late seventies pbass nothing too vintage. but im also thinking about modding a new pbass and just making some minor adjustments like chaning out the pic gaurd and putting on a badass and d tuner. i need a passive bass since at the moment i only have an active bass (Wal MachII) and have never really had any experience with pbasses. My Wal is too expensive for me to play out with and im afraid it will get damaged or stolen. so your input would be appreciated.

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Save your money for the time being, play both basses, and then pick which one you like best.

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i'd go for a new one.............i dont get the hype for old basses 10,000 for a 1964 p bass nahhh id get a custom shop and save alot of dough and have more bass

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Which modern P-bass are you thinking of modifying?

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    This would be nice to know. And if you plan on getting a modern P to get a vintage tone, you better have your mods right.

6. Get a newer P. With what you said about the Wal I would think you wouldn't enjoy a vintage bass. You would be in the same boat as you are with the Wal, that is, not wanting to take it out. Get a new MIA or Hwy 1 P and play it!!!!!!

Also some people have reported that changing to a BA bridge on a P takes away the signature tone of a P. To each their own though. I have a Hwy1 P and am very happy with it.