Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

violin bass setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Does anybody have any tips on this? Like for instance, intonation, and bridge setup. The truss rod I am fine with, its the bridge I can't figure out out how to adjust.

2. What kind of violin bass? Rogue? Gibson? Hofner? EKO? etc. ad infinitum...

3. there are probably screws on the back side of the bridge for intonation. good luck with that one seeing as how there seems to be very little movement.
    are there two big kinda thumb screws on the sides of the bridge? if so, thats where you'll do the height at.

4. actually, i see nothing for intonation at all. :(
    but yea, i kinda figured out the height thing after messing with it. thanks for the help. any more on intonation would be helpful.

5. o yea, a thought occured to me. can I angle the bridge maybe? it was just an idea i had. i saw a picture of one of pauls, and his was angled.

6. i thought you used the little metal strips on the bridge to adjust intonation. on my hofner, there are individual string "saddle" and a few grooves on the bridge itself to move the saddles to for adjusting intonation.

also, the bridge itself should be movable to you can slide it around (with the strings a bit loose) like a doublebass, violin, etc...

tony

7. ah ha, thanks tony. Brice must use some kind of hofner copy bridge. you described it perfectly.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I just got help setting my violin bass up a week ago. For a floating bridge measure the1 fret to the 12 then with that measurment place the bridge the same distance from the 12 fret to the bridge.

9. thanks metal! thats awesomely helpful.

10. MAJOR METAL

11. one more question major. when i measure from the 1st to the 12 fret, and then go from 12 fret to the bridge, it only gets to about the bridge pup. help?

12. MAJOR METAL

The distance is supposed to be equal. Let me think on this why it would be diffrent.

13. hahahha, nvm metal. chalk this up to stupid tape measure mistakes. i measured at the 3 fret. thanks for the help.

14. MAJOR METAL

No Problem enjoy :bassist: