1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Violin body basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dlmarquez, Apr 4, 2009.

1. I have a bit of a fetish for these things, and I know that there is another company in Germany besides Hofner that builds acoustic violin basses. Can anybody help me out here. This is a company that is still in business, but isn't very well known in the US.
    Also, is there anybody out there building an EB-1 style bass. I know that Bud LeCompte builds one but I really don't care for the cutaway in the lower bout and I'm primarily interested in short scales.
    thanks

2. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    only new ones i recall ever seeing are made by rougue.. not great build quality, but a fun bass for the money.

3. Klira was a German company that made violin basses right near Hofner's factory but I do not believe they are still in business.

4. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Dusenberg makes one. There is also a small maker in Texas that makes a very high end one.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Jay Turser makes a beatle bass for cheap, and I thought it played better than the Hofner Icon series.

6. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    ...............Should be easier to get parts, and deal with warranty, if needed!:cool:

7. jamesdudley

jamesdudley

Mar 20, 2009
    London
    Isnt Paul McCartney bass a Violin bass.

8. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars, Veillette Guitars
    Hey,

We made this as a custom order for a Japanese customer
    who collects violin basses.

It's a 32" scale 5-string with a piezo and a magnetic.
    The Hofner-like tight string spacing was by request.

(Please don't consider this a commercial/ad post, since
    we'd probably prefer not to make any more of these...:) )

The B was surprisingly decent for the shorter scale,
    and the overall effect was very cool.

Cheers,
    Martin

Attached Files:

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
  10. snarenkunst

snarenkunst

Apr 4, 2009
    I've an epiphone EB-1 bass it's not an short scale unfortunatly but it's a great bass, you can even screw out the endpin and srew in an large pin so you can play it like an upright. (do not know where to find those upricht screw in pins) I also got an chinese violin bass fro man unknow brand, In europe you can find dozens of el-cheapo chinese made violin basses of various brands.

I also have an solid body red glitter plastic eko 1100 OT 2 bass in an violin shape and started todat on a rebuilt of an orfeus east german made solid body violin bass.

11. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    That is sweet.

12. I had no idea so many folks had built a viiolin body bass. I had seen the Veillette custom and that is just about the coolest bass I've ever seen....I'd DEFINITELY consider one of those!!!
    The bass I was trying to find was the Duesenberg, which is still in production.
    I'd like to find out who the small builder in texas is. I am pretty sure it's not Birdsong although I would seriously consider a birdsong if they made a violin body!

13. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
  14. Dirk McQuickley

Dirk McQuickley

Oct 13, 2008
    Indiana
    The guy in Texas that you are looking for is Bud LeCompte:

http://lecomptebass.com/default.asp

Dirk McQuickley

15. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Check rondomusic.com for their Douglas and Brice copies. I had the Brice and thought it was extremely well put together.

16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    There was a recent thread with soundclips where someone compared the Turser with LaBellas against a MIM JB? and a SX P? (not sure about the last two). The Turser sounded very good, my fav of the three. Ill try to find it.

Edit: check it out; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538241&highlight=

17. I've been thinking of a cheapo Hoffner icon.. played one at practice and was good for the cash.

The german company you may be thinking of is Framus - I'm sure they still have one in the offering... along with some strange looking gear.

18. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    He also might be thinking of EKO, which was an Italian company.

19. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

His basses look really nice. I'm sure they probably sound pretty good as well.

And they're pretty low priced for custom/boutique instruments.

20. jamesdudley

jamesdudley

Mar 20, 2009
    London
    Seeing as no one has answered me I am guessing I was right.