1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Violin vs guitar construction

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassist1962, Jun 4, 2014.

1. I appologize if this has been covered previouly. I have an offer to repair my bass, but it is from a guitar luthier who doesnt want to go the hide glue route. He says there are new products out there that are stronger, etc. I am leary of using anything but hide glue. Suggestions? This is pro bono btw.

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    hammer-head.

3. Spend the money to take it to somebody who knows about violin family instruments and bass repair specifically, and get it done right. Using the wrong glue will likely result in more costly repairs in the future. (I think that's what the above GIF is indicating as well...sorry to be redundant.)

4. that was actually my thoughts. I will just have to have a friend that wants to pay for it go with me to an actual bass shop and see if he still wants to pay for it.

5. Hi.

If the instrument repair persons only argument against the hide glue is that there are "better" products construction-wise, I'd look elsewhere.

Failing to know (or aknowledge) why certain products and certain tecniques are used in a certain situations would raise a red flag for me.

OTOH, even though hide glue is IMO as well the only correct glue to use in repairs that are supposed to be able to be taken apart again when the need arises, what bass (the one in Your sig?) and what repair if I may ask?

Regards
    Sam

6. This person fixes guitars usually. I have never heard of a guitar needing a seam repair. His other argument is that hide glue smells and is hard to work with. Sounds to me like he wants to fix it so it doesnt come apart again, which is not the intention here.

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Run away, run away!!! :eek:

arnoldschnitzer and Steve Boisen like this.
  8. Hi.

Sure they do.
    Acoustic guitar construction, especially arch-top, doesn't differ too much from that on the violin family.

On those the ability to open the seams and to take the instrument apart in an controlled manner is just as important as it is in the violin family repairs.

:)

Both arguments are valid and true to a degree, but if a bit of inconvenience prevents him from using a correct method, one has to wonder what other short-cuts he likes to take.
    For mere conveniences sake.

Yep, those comments just confirm that he should be concentrating on slabs.
    If even those.

Regards
    Sam

9. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I love the smell of hide glue in the morning. It smells like...victory!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014